Iago

C-47 crash in TX

Glad no one died.

I have a special place in my heart for DC-3/C-47. I made my first jump out of one, and hundreds more out of one. My first jump was also my first airplane ride. I think I had five or six take-offs before I ever landed in a plane. :ph34r:

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

not knowing much about flying them, but it sure looks like they rotated well below any reasonable speed, but could also have been wind components. I wonder what the wind conditions were. they only have 01/19 runway, so crosswind with early rotate, or just the plane wanting to fly on its own could have created a directional issue as well.

Would love to hear from Mark Borghorst on it

When taking off in a DC3 you MUST raise the tail so that the aircraft can accelerate to flying speed and to get good airflow over the rudder for directional control. It takes a LOT of muscle to push the yoke forward. If you don’t raise the tail the aircraft will try to become airborne well before the 85-90 knots required. No airspeed, no rudder control... not good!

Jon