Bob_Church

Man's best friend, or DOOM?

I copy and pasted this from another list so I hope it's not too screwed up. Personally, I think we're in trouble when Black Mirror gets too close for comfort.

http://tinyurl.com/y7rrle5e

They can unload the dishwasher, deliver packages to your home and open doors. Their thin, metallic legs are able to traverse a steep flight of stairs — or crawl straight into your worst nightmares.[1]

Now Boston Dynamics’ awkward, four-legged, doglike robot, SpotMini, is evolving from a YouTube sensation to a purchasable pet of sorts, according to the company’s founder, Marc Raibert

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalhead_(Black_Mirror)

"Metalhead" is the fifth episode of the fourth series of anthology series Black Mirror. It was written by Charlie Brooker and directed by David Slade. The episode first aired on Netflix, along with the rest of series four, on 29 December 2017.

"Metalhead" is the only Black Mirror episode filmed entirely in black and white, and follows the plight of Bella (Maxine Peake) trying to flee from robotic "dogs" after the unexplained collapse of human society. The "dogs" were influenced by Boston Dynamics' robotic dogs.

Brooker came up with the episode's central idea by watching videos of Boston Dynamics' robotics products such as BigDog. He found that there was something "creepy" in how the products, if knocked over, would look helpless as they worked to regain their stance.