keithbar

Gas prices

keithbar

Should I be happy about 20 gal. For 39.98 ?

This post is too vague to even contemplate.

Actually I can guess-- a couple fingers on the wrong keys during the title? Although where you are and what octane you are buying is anybody's guess.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

current prices in Belgium:
95 unleaded: €1.53
Diesel: €1.55

95 unleaded is €1.79 in the Netherlands currently. Thats $2.01, per Liter, not gallon. So you can do that times 3.8 roughly.

20 gal would roughly be $152 in the Netherlands, $134 in Belgium.

So yeah, 40 bucks is cheap. dirt cheap.

massis

current prices in Belgium:

95 unleaded is €1.79 in the Netherlands currently. Thats $2.01, per Liter, not gallon. So you can do that times 3.8 roughly.

YUP Yanks have no clue how good they have it in regards Petrol costs. It cost me $110 -$120 AUD per week to fill my vehicle
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

***current prices in Belgium:

YUP Yanks have no clue how good they have it in regards Petrol costs. It cost me $110 -$120 AUD per week to fill my vehicle

How the world values carbon emissions. See the threads on global warming.

Iago

High energy taxes on Europe have nothing to do with carbon emissions and predate the hysteria by decades. In Germany, for example, energy taxes are the third largest revenue stream for their Fed.

https://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/indicators/fuel-prices-and-taxes/assessment-7

http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/publications/european_economy/2014/pdf/ee1_2_en.pdf

Squeak

***current prices in Belgium:

YUP Yanks have no clue how good they have it in regards Petrol costs. It cost me $110 -$120 AUD per week to fill my vehicleYou can thank your government for that. The oil isint really any more expensive in AUS or the EU, but the government taxes the shit out of it so most of what your paying is taxes and not the cost of the fuel itself.

Westerly

You can thank your government for that. The oil isint really any more expensive in AUS or the EU, but the government taxes the shit out of it so most of what your paying is taxes and not the cost of the fuel itself.

But we spend it on stuff like healthcare and get the upside of not having file to for bankruptcy over a simple hospital stay.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

billvon

Gas out here is around $3.70. Boo! Although I only have to fill up once every six months or so. Yay!

I use public/private mass transit, so I don't buy gas, but I noticed last week that it was $3.80 for lowest octane and $4.05 for the highest _in_ Seattle.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I have a VW TDI Bugly. I filled it up at Costco in Woodinville this week for $3.22 a gallon for the diesel. I usually get around 500 miles out of a tank with my usual commute although I have driven to Spokane and back on a single tank. I kept my lead foot out of the pedal and it gave me 62MPG on I-90 there and back. I am good with that little car.. Bugly has been a great money saver since I bought it used in 2007.

RMK

***You can thank your government for that. The oil isint really any more expensive in AUS or the EU, but the government taxes the shit out of it so most of what your paying is taxes and not the cost of the fuel itself.

But we spend it on stuff like healthcare and get the upside of not having file to for bankruptcy over a simple hospital stay.

True ish. Had my gallbladder removed in June. Total cost of surgery including aftercare etc was around €2500
Around €1100 was covered by my basic healthcare.

The rest was paid by my healthcare insurance which I get from my employer, which has nothing to do with taxes paid.

The main issue with fuel taxes is that when fuel prices rise, taxes also rise. But when fuel prices drop, taxes are kept at the exact same level.
So every time fuel prices drop, tax becomes a larger component of the price...

massis

The main issue with fuel taxes is that when fuel prices rise, taxes also rise. But when fuel prices drop, taxes are kept at the exact same level.
So every time fuel prices drop, tax becomes a larger component of the price...

It's the opposite. Fuel taxes are generally levied by volume, e.g., per gallon. When fuel prices increase (or fuel economy improves at a given vehicle weight), fuel taxes do not increase correspondingly, leading to shortfalls in tax revenue. Those shortfalls tend to be covered by general tax funds.

In other words, motor vehicle use is subsidized, not just by other motorists, but by everyone.

The main issue with fuel taxes is that when fuel prices rise, taxes also rise. But when fuel prices drop, taxes are kept at the exact same level. So every time fuel prices drop, tax becomes a larger component of the price...

The opposite is true, actually. Gas is taxed via an excise tax, which is a fixed price per volume of gasoline (generally per gallon.) So as the price of gas goes up, the tax stays the same per gallon - and is thus a smaller percentage of the price. Also, the excise tax is not indexed to inflation, so it is a tax that's getting gradually smaller (in real dollars) all the time.

The highest gas taxes are in Pennsylvania; 18 cents federal and 58 cents state per gallon. The lowest taxes are in Alaska; 18 and 12.

BTW one way gas stations are starting to "cheat" is to warm up the gasoline before delivering it. Since it expands when you heat it, they sell more gallons for the same original volume of gas. It's a very small effect, and it was discovered by accident when a few stations put in very shallow tanks under black asphalt. But a few places now set up such structures intentionally to make a little more $$ per gallon. In California, that represents $450 million in additional profit for gas stations.

There are now temperature compensated gas pumps that adjust for this. Needless to say, gas stations are less than eager to install them.

Marine gas here in Ohio (no ethanol) is $4.14 per gallon. I run (2) 5.7L carbed Mercruiser engines with a 75 gallon tank for each. My carbon footprint is huge :) . Not complaining, it's a great time for 4 months out of the year.

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Image1.jpg

Westerly

******current prices in Belgium:

YUP Yanks have no clue how good they have it in regards Petrol costs. It cost me $110 -$120 AUD per week to fill my vehicleYou can thank your government for that. The oil isint really any more expensive in AUS or the EU, but the government taxes the shit out of it so most of what your paying is taxes and not the cost of the fuel itself. REALLY :o WOW:o
:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Westerly

******current prices in Belgium:

YUP Yanks have no clue how good they have it in regards Petrol costs. It cost me $110 -$120 AUD per week to fill my vehicleYou can thank your government for that. The oil isint really any more expensive in AUS or the EU, but the government taxes the shit out of it so most of what your paying is taxes and not the cost of the fuel itself.

Maybe a little research would have done you some good... Australia actually seems to have the fourth lowest taxes on fuel, and way lower than a lot of other countries. The United States has of course, the lowest rate. Check the graph titled "energy snapshot of the week"

http://theconversation.com/factcheck-do-australians-pay-high-petrol-taxes-29264
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

billvon

The opposite is true, actually. Gas is taxed via an excise tax, which is a fixed price per volume of gasoline (generally per gallon.) So as the price of gas goes up, the tax stays the same per gallon - and is thus a smaller percentage of the price. Also, the excise tax is not indexed to inflation, so it is a tax that's getting gradually smaller (in real dollars) all the time.

jcd11235

It's the opposite. Fuel taxes are generally levied by volume, e.g., per gallon. When fuel prices increase (or fuel economy improves at a given vehicle weight), fuel taxes do not increase correspondingly, leading to shortfalls in tax revenue. Those shortfalls tend to be covered by general tax funds.

In other words, motor vehicle use is subsidized, not just by other motorists, but by everyone.

Must be why fuel is so ridiculously cheap in the US. Because it IS the way I explained it over here in Belgium.

It's called the "cliquet-system" and actually entails that when prices drop, taxes rise to catch that pricedrop and keep the price equal. But when prices rise, taxes stay the same.
They specifically started using this system for Diesel to raise the price to gasoline levels a few years back.
Used to be ~€1/L for diesel and €1.5/L for gasoline, now both are around €1.45/L

It's called the "cliquet-system" and actually entails that when prices drop, taxes rise to catch that pricedrop and keep the price equal. But when prices rise, taxes stay the same.

Interesting. I've heard about a similar proposal where taxes rise when gasoline prices drop, then drop when they rise - a mitigation for rapidly fluctuating gas prices, and a hedge against insanely high prices in the future. But that, of course, would take fiscal discipline, and I haven't seen any of that lately.

massis

Must be why fuel is so ridiculously cheap in the US. Because it IS the way I explained it over here in Belgium.

My apologies. I assumed you were from the US, and replied accordingly.

Should I be happy about 20 gal. For 39.98 ?

You'll get some relief today. OPEC made an irrational decision early this morning to increase exports from the middle east which will decrease oil and gas prices. We don't need their oil, we have our own, Iran is sanctioned and is not allowed to export right at this moment. go to www.rigzon.com for more information. If things get harsh, we still have full SOR's.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"