GogglesnTeeth

Remember when... Bonfire before Myspace/Facebook/Etc...

Bob_Church

rec.skydiving's glory days were also a time of users with dialups and Ohio University had very limited storage. So every time someone would post a photo two things would happen. Those of us on dialup using newsreader would find out that instead of reading rec.skydiving before we go to work in the morning we'd be lucky if it finishes downloading before we get home that evening. The software we had then didn't let you see the individual posts on the server side, it just downloaded everything. Then I'd get to work and the phone would be ringing. IT was threatening to stop accepting rec.skydiving because of the amount of storage. These were the days when the zip drive and its 100meg storage disks was a mammoth breakthrough in storage.
So I got a reputation with OU IT for being a wasteful jerk and on rec.skydiving for being a complaining jerk for nagging people not to post pictures.
Oh, and the endless crap because I don't wear a helmet.
But I really really miss it. I think it's like when we get nostalgic for rounds. We don't really miss those canopies, we miss being 25.

Just use the rounds( I have several PC's and Papillion) for Summer Water Jumps.... DUUUDE.. BIG KERPLOOCH SPLASH even in the brisk summer water temperatures of a crystal clear Montana Lake ( At Lost Prairie) beat the hell out of a BIG THUD on Terra Way Too FIRMA any day!!!!

Hi Sunny B|

I miss the NOT USA thread where all the folks who are awake at the time of USA night (and night owls like Amazon) would get together from all around the world and chat. It was almost a live mIRC chat :)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

wmw999

I think it's like when we get nostalgic for rounds. We don't really miss those canopies, we miss being 25.

Oh, that’s perfect!

Wendy P.

Perfect sig line for an old fart! ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

I think it's like when we get nostalgic for rounds. We don't really miss those canopies, we miss being 25.

Oh, that’s perfect!

Wendy P.

Perfect sig line for an old fart! ;)

Hehe - good one!

I have been making a conscious effort to spend less time online in general... And over the years my days of jumping seem like a more and more distant memory...

But every once in a while I get nostalgic about the dz.com/skydiving community... It's nice to browse the topics now and again :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

diverdriver

Hey is this party still going?

It are, and it's picking up again now that more people are bailing out of Facebook B|

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

markharju

***Hey is this party still going?

It are, and it's picking up again now that more people are bailing out of Facebook B|

mh

Yeah, the censoring on Facebook has gotten ridiculous from what I've heard. They're going off the deep end. Censoring and shadowbanning have been happening on Twitter as well. However, the social media app GetonGab.ai has been growing by 10K members a day, and they tout themselves as a free speech site. I'm on Twitter, but will be checking Gab out soon.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

******Hey is this party still going?

mh

Yeah, the censoring on Facebook has gotten ridiculous from what I've heard. They're going off the deep end. Censoring and shadowbanning have been happening on Twitter as well. However, the social media app GetonGab.ai has been growing by 10K members a day, and they tout themselves as a free speech site. I'm on Twitter, but will be checking Gab out soon.

What 'censoring' is that?

I always see posts that show some sort of 'patriotic' picture, claiming FB is removing them, but they stay up.

I know they are removing a lot of the 'fake news' (really fake shit), but I am unaware of them removing anything that isn't really false or racist/hate based.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

What 'censoring' is that?

I always see posts that show some sort of 'patriotic' picture, claiming FB is removing them, but they stay up.

I know they are removing a lot of the 'fake news' (really fake shit), but I am unaware of them removing anything that isn't really false or racist/hate based.

When Aretha Franklin died, I posted a link to the Youtube video of her performance in "The Blues Brothers". FB instantly deleted it and sent me a message that it looked like spam.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>When Aretha Franklin died, I posted a link to the Youtube video of her performance in "The
>Blues Brothers". FB instantly deleted it and sent me a message that it looked like spam.

Next time, You Better Think! before posting that sort of material . . . .

I recently had a look at minds.com - it appears to be still in development but it looks promising.

Facebook is in a difficult position. They can't enforce any standards without infuriating someone. However, there are no social media platforms run by the government (as far as I know), only by private firms, driven by monetization.

Despite all the hot air and bellyaching about censorship on Facebook, Zuck, just like Sangiro, has every right to decide what's allowed and what's not. Just like DZ.com, people who don't like it (being censored on FB) can take their vitriol elsewhere (is rec.skydiving even in existence anymore?)...Maybe Zuck can do what Sangiro did and somehow segregate all the hot-topic stuff, but that would take trusted human eyes, and not "algorithms". Good luck with that, Zuck.

As I think I mentioned earlier, I quit FB for two major reasons. First, the navel-gazing and boy-do-I-love-me (vanity and ego) orientation of the site are both unsettling. Second, there are lots of people who like to use FB as a soapbox, and there's no filter it (except for what one applies) and no way to get away from it except by leaving the site, which I did. I also wrote a 500-word essay explaining my reasons for leaving. That was six months ago. Although I sometimes lurk there just to see what friends are up to, I stay away and I never post anything.

I'm glad to be back on DZ.com - I hope others return.

I'm also hopeful that there will be a social media sea change, id est, people will turn away from one-size-fits-all portals like Facebook and instead latch on to topic-specific sites like this one. I like to think that the metrics show such user behavior on the upswing.

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

As I think I mentioned earlier, I quit FB for two major reasons. First, the navel-gazing and boy-do-I-love-me (vanity and ego) orientation of the site are both unsettling. Second, there are lots of people who like to use FB as a soapbox, and there's no filter it (except for what one applies) and no way to get away from it except by leaving the site, which I did. I also wrote a 500-word essay explaining my reasons for leaving. That was six months ago. Although I sometimes lurk there just to see what friends are up to, I stay away and I never post anything.

FB is what it is, and what you make it. There are several groups there of which I am a member that I use to keep up on who's doing what in skydiving. Ten-way speedstars this weekend at DZ Alpha. Four-way scrambles at DZ Bravo. Tunnel Camp at iFly Charlie. It is a good way to spread a lot of information about those events in one spot. And you can segregate it by location. As happy as I am that there is a big aircraft at DZ Delta this weekend, it is half a continent away and doesn't really impact me.

In concurrence with what you said, however, I did have a friend post this week, "I know a secret." That was the whole post. Why not just post, "I'm screaming for attention." Got to know when to just keep scrolling.

Attached is an example of how to write a post on FB.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

active_voice_tutorial.jpg