Khouji

Anyone here has a pet?

Khouji

Let's talk about pets that are close to your heart, tell us something about your pet. How do you take good care of them, how do you train them? What good memories do you have with your pet?

I have 2 “step pets”. If my significant other ever saw what I feed them when she’s away she’d shit herself.

I don't currently have pets, but I have had cats.

Taking care of them was easy - I let them do their thing, fed and watered them, gave them affection and took them to the vet for regular vaccinations and whenever they were sick.

As for training... does not compute. They were cats.

MikeJD

Taking care of them was easy - I let them do their thing, fed and watered them, gave them affection and took them to the vet for regular vaccinations and whenever they were sick.

Yep. They do whatever the fuck they want. You can train them not to do certain things, but when you're not home, they don't care. You just hope you don't come home to a mess, or your place burned down, or something. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

***I don't currently have pets, but I have had cats.

Yep. They do whatever the fuck they want. You can train them not to do certain things, but when you're not home, they don't care. You just hope you don't come home to a mess, or your place burned down, or something. :D

I've had cats that were leash trained, and one who would fetch.

You have to start them on the leash when they are small kittens and do it frequently, or they will refuse when they get older. The one who fetched would only fetch a certain kind of mouse toy; it had to be made with real rabbit fur and rattled, but she would bring it back and drop it just like a dog and wait for you you to throw it again. I usually got tired of the game before she did. :ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

The one who fetched would only fetch a certain kind of mouse toy; it had to be made with real rabbit fur and rattled, but she would bring it back and drop it just like a dog and wait for you you to throw it again. I usually got tired of the game before she did. :ph34r:

Oh, one of my cats would play fetch with me too, but only because she enjoyed it. Rubber bands were her favourite things to fetch, and because I sometimes packed my rig at home there were always plenty around. I certainly can't claim to have trained her to do it, though - more like the other way round, which is typically the case with cats.

She also loved to be chased - she'd sit halfway up the stairs and miaow until I came, and then the game would start with her dashing off. I'd chase her around the house, and every now and again she'd hide behind a door and ambush me by jumping out as I came into the room. There was a definite understanding that this was a game that we played together, and that she knew how to initiate. I loved that.

Speaking of cats... When I visited a deaf friend, he had a cat that always greeted visitors he hadn't seen before by meowing loudly while standing right at their feet. He was checking to see if they were deaf or not.

He told me he was in his basement one time which had these ground level windows that were just above eye level in the basement. His cat was outside and wanted in. The cat went right up to the window looking right at him. What did it do to get his attention? Rocked its head left to right to left. Kept doing that until my friend noticed the movement, and went upstairs to go let it in. B|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Blue is the latest in a dozen or more dogs that I have fostered and adopted. She will be 12 in Nov, not much time left, and has not much left in the hips or knees so she can barely walk.

but she's got a dad now.... flew up to JAX to pick her up a year and a half ago.

Blue.jpg

I have tarantulas. They're really easy to care for...keep the water filled, throw in a cricket or two every week or so. Beyond that...they don't need to go for walks, no litterboxes or piles outside, they don't bark/meow. Granted, there's no training of them.

MikeJD

I train my cats. It just takes a lot of time, patience, repetition....

and a LOT of treats. ;)

My first one was only with me a couple of years, but behaved much like a dog. My current one (seal-point Siamese) has been with me 14 years. I started his training the day I brought him home when he was 8 weeks old.

Jack knows:
-sit
-lay down
-play dead
-high 5
-get up/down
-"kiss on the nose" (he touches his nose to mine)

He also comes when I call him (or at least answers me so I can find him if he doesn't want to get up), and if he's awake, greets me at the door when I come home.

He also knows how to show me what he's asking for (and usually asks politely). If I'm not looking at him, he will gently reach out with his paw and tap my arm or cheek. If he's more desperate for my attention, he talks to me. I ask him to show me what he wants, and he either uses the expression of a couple of regular requests (asking to play, asking to be fed), or he starts to walk away and turns to make sure I'm following him, then looks back at me when he reaches the thing (sometimes the door) that he wants.

Cats are smart. They just need to know you "really mean it" when you're trying to get them to do something.

(or, yours were really smart, and totally had you trained! ;))
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

purevl

I have tarantulas. They're really easy to care for...keep the water filled, throw in a cricket or two every week or so. Beyond that...they don't need to go for walks, no litterboxes or piles outside, they don't bark/meow. Granted, there's no training of them.

Had a few. Don't drop em. And you shoulda seen the look on this chicks face when one crawled outta the corner pocket while we were shooting pool. Priceless. :o
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

TriGirl

***I don't currently have pets, but I have had cats.

I train my cats. It just takes a lot of time, patience, repetition....

and a LOT of treats. ;)

My first one was only with me a couple of years, but behaved much like a dog. My current one (seal-point Siamese) has been with me 14 years. I started his training the day I brought him home when he was 8 weeks old.

Jack knows:
-sit
-lay down
-play dead
-high 5
-get up/down
-"kiss on the nose" (he touches his nose to mine)

He also comes when I call him (or at least answers me so I can find him if he doesn't want to get up), and if he's awake, greets me at the door when I come home.

He also knows how to show me what he's asking for (and usually asks politely). If I'm not looking at him, he will gently reach out with his paw and tap my arm or cheek. If he's more desperate for my attention, he talks to me. I ask him to show me what he wants, and he either uses the expression of a couple of regular requests (asking to play, asking to be fed), or he starts to walk away and turns to make sure I'm following him, then looks back at me when he reaches the thing (sometimes the door) that he wants.

Cats are smart. They just need to know you "really mean it" when you're trying to get them to do something.

(or, yours were really smart, and totally had you trained! ;))
I completely forgot about the ones that knew about sitting.

I'd make them sit before I gave them what they wanted (which was usually to be let inside) until I told them to sit along with a finger pointing down (I have glass doors). Those cats would sit with just a finger gesture.

I don't have the patience to train cats any more. I'm getting too old for this.

I do have a relatively new cat that is the hall monitor of cats.

She gets along with all the cats when outside, but if one of the outside cats manages to get in, she will harass that poor thing until she drives it outside, or corners it so I can toss it out.

:D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I have a mixed terrier which I pamper so much, lately, I'm thinking of getting a stroller for her. So upon searching, I saw this https://www.petstreetmall.com/Pet-Strollers-and-Dog-Strollers/1504.html which I think will be perfect for my pet. What do you think about this stroller?

Dog stroller.jpg

We've got a few.

Our first and oldest is a bearded dragon, who's now well over 9 years old, although he's running on empty :( Won't be long before he's gone unfortunately, I'll miss the big guy! (he used to be well over a pound and is over 22" length)

Then we have 2 leopard gecko's, 2 stinkpot turtles, some fishies and lastly our British shorthair cat.

In stark contrast to TriGirls cat, I think ours is a bit of an idiot. you can literally do ANYTHING with him without him caring, I even locked him in the shower with me once when he had fleas, so I could wash out the ultrasticky flea spray I'd soaked him in 5 minutes earlier. Came out without a scratch.

Then again he does play fetch, but like an actual cat: he'll run for his toy, grab it, bring it back towards me but then he'll stop about 3ft away, drop it on the floor with a "now you come fetch" look on his face...

BillyVance

Speaking of cats... When I visited a deaf friend, he had a cat that always greeted visitors he hadn't seen before by meowing loudly while standing right at their feet. He was checking to see if they were deaf or not.

He told me he was in his basement one time which had these ground level windows that were just above eye level in the basement. His cat was outside and wanted in. The cat went right up to the window looking right at him. What did it do to get his attention? Rocked its head left to right to left. Kept doing that until my friend noticed the movement, and went upstairs to go let it in. B|

I knew of a cat that when it wanted to be let in, it would literally knock on the door with the back of its paw. Astonishing.

Cats are by no means stupid. They can be trained and conditioned to do things (like not clawing the furniture - really!) but it takes a lot of love and patience to convince them that it's their idea. Sort of like people :D

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

At my wife’s request I made a cat video a few months ago. I had built a ladder so our cat Olive could get to an upper window ledge, and she got into a spot she had trouble getting down from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs1nKXThvvk
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

SethInMI

At my wife’s request I made a cat video a few months ago. I had built a ladder so our cat Olive could get to an upper window ledge, and she got into a spot she had trouble getting down from.

Good thing the couch was there to break her fall. :D

I had a cat get stuck in the same tree, 20-25 feet off the ground, same spot, THREE times. Each time I had to climb the motherfucker, grab her and stuff her in my bag and climb down.

The last time I used my Sony D1 or whatever its called, in my helmet cam case to record the rescue. I started recording while standing on the ground, calling out to her "HEY KITTY CAT..... DUMB ASS!!"

The mini DV tape is somewhere in a box. No idea where it is... :|

BillyVance

Yep, cats are weird. I still don't understand how she can easily hop over to that ledge, but still can't hop back. Now she justs deliberately jumps down and lands on the couch.:D
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

SethInMI

Yep, cats are weird. I still don't understand how she can easily hop over to that ledge, but still can't hop back. Now she justs deliberately jumps down and lands on the couch.:D

Who knows? Maybe cats favor one side more than the other, much like humans are right handed or left handed, or kick better with their right foot, etc...

BillyVance

I had a cat get stuck in the same tree, 20-25 feet off the ground, same spot, THREE times. Each time I had to climb the motherfucker, grab her and stuff her in my bag and climb down.

The last time I used my Sony D1 or whatever its called, in my helmet cam case to record the rescue. I started recording while standing on the ground, calling out to her "HEY KITTY CAT..... DUMB ASS!!"

The mini DV tape is somewhere in a box. No idea where it is... :|

I've never seen a dead cat in a tree.

They will figure out how to get down eventually, even if it involves a spot of freefall.

Your cat was just playing games with you. Had prolly told all his cat mates that he had trained his dumb hooman to climb trees.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....