Juiceman

Hi

Just want to say hello.

Not been on here for a while. I have been to the wind tunnel. Really enjoyed it.

i will be booking my first tandam jump out of a plane in the next few days.

Is it natural to feel worried about the jump? Worried i may bottle it and not jump out of the plane. Anybody got any advice?

Juiceman

Just want to say hello.

Not been on here for a while. I have been to the wind tunnel. Really enjoyed it.

i will be booking my first tandam jump out of a plane in the next few days.

Is it natural to feel worried about the jump? Worried i may bottle it and not jump out of the plane. Anybody got any advice?

You sound just like me! I think we are both pretty "normal" for skydiving newbies. Just not sure how normal skydivers are?:)
Mark P. Zanghetti
‘Don’t for one second long for who you were, but recklessly pursue who you can become.’ … We can learn from the past but we can’t get it back.”

If you plan to do a tandem you will be putting your life into the hands of the tandem instructor and the parachute equipment. That is a simple fact. if you don't trust both, you should not jump. If you do trust both, you can relax a bit and not worry. So right up front, think about what you are doing and what you are trusting in. Understanding that should make things a bit easier.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

That is exactly what gives me pause, my Dad is deeply opposed to my jumping at all and has asked me to justify my trusting a tandem instructor over myself but at the same time they say they don't trust me either so I am in a catch-22! I am going to jump but now am facing several days of foul weather to get past! This has not been easy and it has only been my determination that has kept the process moving forward. I am approximately sixty years old and living in a nursing home due to disability, any other questions?
Mark P. Zanghetti
‘Don’t for one second long for who you were, but recklessly pursue who you can become.’ … We can learn from the past but we can’t get it back.”

If you're trying to calm your dad about you doing a tandem, find some comparisons to other accepted leisure activities. I think the last one I did was visiting the Grand Canyon, because I stumbled on some article detailing the statistics of accidental deaths there. As I recall the risk of one tandem was approximately the same as visiting the Grand Canyon twice (just walking along the main viewing areas up top, not hiking it or anything). If your dad wouldn't object to you visiting the main Grand Canyon park tourist area, that might help him see reason.
Max Peck
What's the point of having top secret code names, fellas, if we ain't gonna use 'em?

*^%$**!! My Mom asked me how I planned on getting to the drop zone since I don't own a car and I told her my Aunt was going to give me a ride and she asked to go with the two of us, now the two of them got to talking and my aunt backed out! So now I am back to square one with no way to get to the drop zone. This is just turning into one road block after another. The drop zone closes November 7th and it doesn't look good for being able to get something set up before then, so I don't know what is going to happen, I just know I am not giving up. I wonder if I can find somebody that lives near me to bring me along with them to jump and I will buy gas and lunch.
Mark P. Zanghetti

mzanghetti

*^%$**!! My Mom asked me how I planned on getting to the drop zone since I don't own a car and I told her my Aunt was going to give me a ride and she asked to go with the two of us, now the two of them got to talking and my aunt backed out! So now I am back to square one with no way to get to the drop zone. This is just turning into one road block after another. The drop zone closes November 7th and it doesn't look good for being able to get something set up before then, so I don't know what is going to happen, I just know I am not giving up. I wonder if I can find somebody that lives near me to bring me along with them to jump and I will buy gas and lunch.

You said you had a disability. It doesn't take much before some people will tell you, Skydiving is not for everyone. But at the same time there are instructors that will go out of their way to help someone live their dream.

If you have not already done this, my I suggest that you call and talk to the DZ manager/owner. Tell that person what your physical limitations are and what your goals are. Ask specifically if they have an instructor that would be happy to take you on as a student. If you find such a person and can start conversing with them, then they might also help you resolve some of the other problems like getting to the DZ. It will do no good to get their if they will not let you jump.

Good point and one that was raised by a friend who said he would take me, but he raised another idea as well, take a trip up there to talk face to face with the DZ owner/operator and work some things out and go from there. I have talked to them and that is also where the DZ owner/operator seems to be at, they will make no commitments until we can meet face to face. This seems to be the best course of action all the way around, and a logical next step. I am not dissuaded easily and I agree that skydiving may not be for me, but I won't accept that until I have tried everything I can and have still failed, I am nowhere near that point yet. H**l, at one point someone said I would never walk again and I can walk today because I wouldn't take no for an answer.
Mark P. Zanghetti

Juiceman, How are things with you? Has any part of the conversation helped you toward making your first jump? I am sorry if my jumping into the conversation (if you will pardon the pun!:)

Mark P. Zanghetti

mzanghetti

Good point and one that was raised by a friend who said he would take me, but he raised another idea as well, take a trip up there to talk face to face with the DZ owner/operator and work some things out and go from there. I have talked to them and that is also where the DZ owner/operator seems to be at, they will make no commitments until we can meet face to face. This seems to be the best course of action all the way around, and a logical next step. I am not dissuaded easily and I agree that skydiving may not be for me, but I won't accept that until I have tried everything I can and have still failed, I am nowhere near that point yet. H**l, at one point someone said I would never walk again and I can walk today because I wouldn't take no for an answer.

Just FYI, "the bowling speech" is what you get when you are told you shouldn't be skydiving. If you tell the DZO, "I understand that I might not be able to but I am not ready for the bowling speech just yet.", I am sure he/she would get a chuckle out of that. You are acknowledging both sides of the challenge.

It sounds like the DZO is willing to give you reasonable consideration, which is all anyone can ask for. I had a tough time getting started. I did get the bowling speech. but I was able to find someone that would work with me. My problem was motion sickness, which I have had all of my life.