psykx

Brit looking to do AFF in california

Hi All,
I did a tandem skydive about 10 years ago and I'm finally in a situation to take up skydiving. I'd like to fly to California in December to take an AFF course and then spend 8-10 days doing 5 jumps a day.

I've been looking at perris and elsnore is there anywhere else I should consider? Once I'm back in the UK i'll be buying gear so I will need to hire gear for those first 40 jumps or so.

Or.. am I being too ambitious?

psykx

The weather is pretty crap here

Maybe you missed the fact that up until the last couple of weeks or so we'd had practically no rain for months on end! ;)

It's a shame you weren't ready to start learning in May - you've missed out on the best UK summer in decades - but of course life does get in the way...

As for your plans, I don't really see anything wrong with them except that as a newbie skydiver you might find 5 jumps a day, day after day, a bit hard going.

Also, as others have said California is a long way to go. Even though you've done a tandem that you obviously enjoyed, have you considered the possibility that you might start AFF and just decide that you don't like it or it isn't for you?

It has been amazing weather, but I've been really busy with work and I won't be in a position to take an AFF until December time.

I have always wanted to see america, there is a list of foods to try as long as my arm. And I'm a climber so I will be taking some time to see yosemite, I'm aware I will need a break from skydiving in order to properly process I've learned and not get burnt out.

Based on how much I enjoyed the tandem many years ago I won't want to quit after AFF, but if I do I can think of plenty of things to do around san fran.

I've booked flights to L.A and a car for 9th December until the 23rd. If I really love it, I can head to the algarve for two weeks just after Christmas.

psykx

Based on how much I enjoyed the tandem many years ago I won't want to quit after AFF, but if I do I can think of plenty of things to do around san fran.

It's worth noting that most people who do a tandem jump enjoyed it, but many of them would not make it through AFF. It's not just about whether you enjoy it. You could just suck at flying and unable to understand the material. I've seen students who liked skydiving, but they were really dull when it came to understanding important aspects of skydiving like equipment and EPs. The instructor would show and explain them how to do something and they just wouldent get it. I've seen students have to repeat AFF levels several times because they just could not remain stable in freefall on their own.

Just my 2 cents. It sounds like you have a plan and thats awesome. Dont let some of the posters who are negative nancies steer you away. Elsinore or Perris are both good SoCal choices. When you have 2 options that seem equal it comes down to the little things. So here are some pro's and con's

Pro; Perris has a bar on site. Con;not as social as Elsinore after jumping
Perris has a pool. Local kids use it also;)

Perris has a wind tunnel the dirt in the landing area is tough to get
out of your shoes.

Elsinore has a pool,not open It is smaller than Perris's pool
to the public

Elsinore is VERY social after It is a 5 minute walk to get a case.
jumping, and the dairy accross
the street has beer, cheaper than a bar.

all joking aside both DZ's have capable aircraft and good instructors. It comes down to where you feel the positive vibe. Check both out and spend about an hour talking to the instructors and the locals experienced jumpers and see how it feels. Hope to see you in December. Yes Elsinore is my home DZ.