Flat904line

Bigger guy looking to learn

Hey everyone, I've been obsessed with flight since I was a little kid and always knew I wanted to learn to skydive. I'm getting to the point where I have the time and money to make that happen, however after doing some research it seems I may have a problem. I'm about 6'3" and 260 and from what I've read, alot of training places have a weight limit that isn't 260. I've also read on here ,some post from about 15 years ago, about big dude skydiving. One guy was 6'9" and pushing 350. But what I read was you need to find an instructor willing to chase you and a place with rigs that can support big guys. I live in northern California and I'm having g some issues finding a place that can teach me. So if anyone has any info that could help me out I would appreciate it. Also, if I do find an instructor but can't find a parachute, would it be wise to purchase one to learn with. Thanks for the help.

-Thomas

There has been more recent discussion on it. This sort of gear is commonly called "Big Boy" gear. Search that term for more stuff.

HERE is one thread.

It says that Taft has a rig that will take students up to your size. But that was 5 years ago. Things change.

Good luck.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Flat904line

Hey everyone, I've been obsessed with flight since I was a little kid and always knew I wanted to learn to skydive. I'm getting to the point where I have the time and money to make that happen, however after doing some research it seems I may have a problem. I'm about 6'3" and 260 and from what I've read, alot of training places have a weight limit that isn't 260. I've also read on here ,some post from about 15 years ago, about big dude skydiving. One guy was 6'9" and pushing 350. But what I read was you need to find an instructor willing to chase you and a place with rigs that can support big guys. I live in northern California and I'm having g some issues finding a place that can teach me. So if anyone has any info that could help me out I would appreciate it. Also, if I do find an instructor but can't find a parachute, would it be wise to purchase one to learn with. Thanks for the help.

-Thomas

I don't know where you're at but in Ohio Steve Alexander used to specialize in big guy tandems. When Taylor Skydiving in Lancaster would get a request from someone too heavy they'd refer them to him. He'd then come to Lancaster and take them up, and sometimes he'd have been approached by someone and would bring them to the DZ.
So it can be done, it's just that you won't find it listed on most DZ's websites, if any. But ask around.