billmorford

Oldie newbie - "retired" jumper thinking hard about returning to the sport

Hi, y'all, or rather "Hi, fellow Yinzers" (its a 'Burgh thing)
I'm a "retired jumper from way back who is thinking hard about returning to the sport. I had my start at the WSPC in Waynesville, Ohio (now Skydive Cincinnati) in 1980, and over the course of 3 or 4 years managed to make 31 jumps (that I can document) with about half being at WSPC and the other half at Indian Lake, Pa.
I haven't thought much about jumping for a long time, but recently reconnected by way of Facebook with some of my old friends from the Waynesville club. Now I think I have the bug again, and I'm seriously thinking about jumping back in (pun intended).
I'm sure I have about a thousand questions to direct to the appropriate forums regarding some of the changes in the sport since I last jumped, especially those dealing with new technology, new disciplines like wing suiting and free flying, and new drop zones and facilities like wind tunnels.
A lot of things have changed, but a lot have stayed just the same, from what I have seen, and I think my motivation this time is not so much about the adrenaline rush and feeling of freedom that comes from jumping, but rather the bond and comradeship that forms between those in the skydiving community, a bond I still feel with some of my old friends, some living, some who have left us too early, even though I have not seen them or participated for many years.
I am planning on taking a little road trip this afternoon to investigate at least one fairly nearby drop zone to get the lay of the land, meet the management and watch the operations, and I am inclined to think that I'm going to just say "Screw being retired! When's the next class? Sign me up!"
Wish me luck, and hope you all are having a great day in the sky!
Bill
Pittsburgh, Pa
btw.... yes, that really is me under that old PC in my profile pic.
  • Like 1

billmorford

Hi, y'all, or rather "Hi, fellow Yinzers" (its a 'Burgh thing)
I'm a "retired jumper from way back who is thinking hard about returning to the sport. I had my start at the WSPC in Waynesville, Ohio (now Skydive Cincinnati) in 1980, and over the course of 3 or 4 years managed to make 31 jumps (that I can document) with about half being at WSPC and the other half at Indian Lake, Pa.
I haven't thought much about jumping for a long time, but recently reconnected by way of Facebook with some of my old friends from the Waynesville club. Now I think I have the bug again, and I'm seriously thinking about jumping back in (pun intended).
I'm sure I have about a thousand questions to direct to the appropriate forums regarding some of the changes in the sport since I last jumped, especially those dealing with new technology, new disciplines like wing suiting and free flying, and new drop zones and facilities like wind tunnels.
A lot of things have changed, but a lot have stayed just the same, from what I have seen, and I think my motivation this time is not so much about the adrenaline rush and feeling of freedom that comes from jumping, but rather the bond and comradeship that forms between those in the skydiving community, a bond I still feel with some of my old friends, some living, some who have left us too early, even though I have not seen them or participated for many years.
I am planning on taking a little road trip this afternoon to investigate at least one fairly nearby drop zone to get the lay of the land, meet the management and watch the operations, and I am inclined to think that I'm going to just say "Screw being retired! When's the next class? Sign me up!"
Wish me luck, and hope you all are having a great day in the sky!
Bill
Pittsburgh, Pa
btw.... yes, that really is me under that old PC in my profile pic.

It's not really a problem, go for it. You'll be told that you have to do a tandem jump, which is cool. After that, I don't know and it will depend a lot on how that goes, that sort of thing. But The Sport is easier to enter than ever, except maybe the costs. Between tandem and the hybrid AFF that that it leads to you can be off student status in no time.
Just don't buy the horseshit about downsizing. Swooping a small canopy is a discipline of its own and if you get a lot of experience then want to do it that's fine, but don't accept the all too common crap about it being part of skydiving and you're in the wrong sport if you don't get a smaller canopy.
Oh, and you'll be surprised about sizes now that ZP is standard. I jump a 210 hornet which, when you were jumping was a medium sized canopy like the cruiseair I had in 1980. Now a 210 is huge and lets you down nice. So when you're getting off student status do some serious checking. Canopies are different now but mostly in a nice way, just be sure to get good advice.
Welcome back.

Thanks, Bob.
I made my visit to one of the local DZs (Skydive Pa) just to scope it out and felt very welcome right off the bat. It turns out the owner and I went to high school together, so we had a lot in common right off the bat. He looked over my logbook and recognized at least a couple of the names of former instructors and jumpmasters that had signed it, and was very encouraging, telling me that a tandem introductory jump was not necessary, and that he thinks AFF will be a perfect fit for me. The next weekend class is in 2 weeks, and I plan to be there to start AFF that Saturday morning.
  • Like 1

billmorford

Thanks, Bob.
I made my visit to one of the local DZs (Skydive Pa) just to scope it out and felt very welcome right off the bat. It turns out the owner and I went to high school together, so we had a lot in common right off the bat. He looked over my logbook and recognized at least a couple of the names of former instructors and jumpmasters that had signed it, and was very encouraging, telling me that a tandem introductory jump was not necessary, and that he thinks AFF will be a perfect fit for me. The next weekend class is in 2 weeks, and I plan to be there to start AFF that Saturday morning.

If you ever get over this way give a yell. Skydive Green County Xenia is my home dz despite not getting there very often. I'm semi retired so most of my jumps are C-172 jumps for events at Vinton County Airport where I'm the official skydiver since I'm the only guy with a parachute. It's less than thirty minutes away but after I moved Xenia is about three hours each way and my back hates being in a car. But it's always good to get over to Xenia when I can and it always feels like pulling into home. It can be weeks or years but Lee and Jim still recognize you instantly. So do some of the others but my memory has gotten worse than my hearing.

Bob

Edit: And do it when you just get off student status. I've never been any good at RW so at that point we'll be well matched.

Bob_Church

If you ever get over this way give a yell. Skydive Green County Xenia is my home dz despite not getting there very often. I'm semi retired so most of my jumps are C-172 jumps for events at Vinton County Airport where I'm the official skydiver since I'm the only guy with a parachute. It's less than thirty minutes away but after I moved Xenia is about three hours each way and my back hates being in a car. But it's always good to get over to Xenia when I can and it always feels like pulling into home. It can be weeks or years but Lee and Jim still recognize you instantly. So do some of the others but my memory has gotten worse than my hearing.

Bob

Edit: And do it when you just get off student status. I've never been any good at RW so at that point we'll be well matched.

I didn't think the Xenia club was there anymore. I didn't see it listed in the current USPA list of DZs anyway. I never jumped there, but I did visit a couple of times. There was a pretty well stocked rigging loft and pro shop there. I bought most of my basics (altimeter, packing mat, gear bag, 1st jumpsuit.... etc from that shop. I bought my SST rig from them too. I don't get over that way much anymore, though. I used to work for NCR, and as such would be in Dayton for weeks, even months at a time for training and special assignments fairly frequently, so Waynesville and even Xenia wern't much a drive to get to. A lot of good memories about my times there. :)

"I didn't think the Xenia club was there anymore. I didn't see it listed in the current USPA list of DZs anyway. I never jumped there, but I did visit a couple of times. There was a pretty well stocked rigging loft and pro shop there. I bought most of my basics (altimeter, packing mat, gear bag, 1st jumpsuit.... etc from that shop. I bought my SST rig from them too. I don't get over that way much anymore, though. I used to work for NCR, and as such would be in Dayton for weeks, even months at a time for training and special assignments fairly frequently, so Waynesville and even Xenia wern't much a drive to get to. A lot of good memories about my times there. "

There are two renegades at Skydive Greene County. Here's a photo of them. Jim isn't a USPA DZO, he's independent.
But if you ever get out this way give me a yell.
Bob

http://www.skydiveohio.com

renegade.jpg

Well, I'm back! Made my 1st 2 AFF jumps last weekend at Skydive Pa! Almost exactly 35 years to the day of my previous one. Jump went well. I need to work on my body form, and stretch those back and stomach muscles a bit to get a better arch, but had 2 stable freefalls, 2 unassisted deployments, good canopy flights and relatively soft sit-down landings (I think I was flaring too slow and too low). Planning to go back this weekend to see if I can get past cat b (I missed one of my manuevers and had my head down). I can honestly say I'm a skydiver again, instead of I used to be a skydiver. :)

On 7/10/2018 at 7:43 PM, Bob_Church said:

"I didn't think the Xenia club was there anymore. I didn't see it listed in the current USPA list of DZs anyway. I never jumped there, but I did visit a couple of times. There was a pretty well stocked rigging loft and pro shop there. I bought most of my basics (altimeter, packing mat, gear bag, 1st jumpsuit.... etc from that shop. I bought my SST rig from them too. I don't get over that way much anymore, though. I used to work for NCR, and as such would be in Dayton for weeks, even months at a time for training and special assignments fairly frequently, so Waynesville and even Xenia wern't much a drive to get to. A lot of good memories about my times there. "

There are two renegades at Skydive Greene County. Here's a photo of them. Jim isn't a USPA DZO, he's independent.
But if you ever get out this way give me a yell.
Bob

http://www.skydiveohio.com

renegade.jpg

Glad to hear Xenia is still there. I love that place. Quick story: Drove in late one night and it was my first time there. The Saturday night crew trashed the place with bottles and partying residue. It was a complete mess. Anyway, the AFF student I brought with me was awake early so I got up to show him the operation. The place was so messed up we grabbed brooms and trash bags. The two of us started cleaning up. Soon, a third guy was helping clean up. It was very early and foggy. He asked if we worked there. We said "no". He asked if we knew the owner. I said we didn't but I knew his name was Jim West. He stayed in helped us finish cleaning. As he started to walk off he turned and asked my name. I told him as he leaned in to shake my hand. As he walked away I asked the stranger for his name. "Jim West" he replied. Nice guy. We jumped a Casa 212 the rest of the day. Good times!!