2 2
SurfnJump

AFF - passed level 1- Unsure about continuing

Hey all... As the title states, I did my AFF course and passed level 1 working tandem. Maybe it was just the first jump and beingso focused on what I needed to do, but it just didn't wow me like I thought it would. With the cost, and time required, I'm somewhat unsure about continuing. I'm planning on doing at least level 2 and 3 to see how I feel then, but I really expected more of a, "Holy shit, I'm skydiving!" response. It was really more of a, "Hmmm... that was interesting"

Thoughts???
Jetsurfer, Wakesurfer, wakeboarder, snowboarder, Jeeper, home DIY guy, wrencher... Generally can't sit still and always looking for the next thing to learn

SurfnJump

I'm planning on doing at least level 2 and 3 to see how I feel then

I think that's a good idea. I'm about to start AFF1 in a couple weeks, and I envision myself, if anything, hating it because I'm terrified of heights and was not comfortable at all jumping out of the plane when I did a tandem a couple months ago (in addition to feeling some motion sickness after).

So, although I can't help you, I will say that personally I would continue. I know it may take me many, many jumps to start loving it and enjoying myself, but I am primarily undertaking the course so I can learn a new (and exciting) skill. In my experience, none of my hobbies were fun when I sucked at them, they only became fun when I learnt the required skills and could properly indulge in them!

If your expectations are a little high, some people can be let down. It is a great activity, and one of the things I enjoy,is being off the ground, and enjoying that activity with friends. Another aspect is the people. I prefer to be around outgoing,energetic,positive people than negative people having drama. Keep that in mind.

SurfnJump

Hey all... As the title states, I did my AFF course and passed level 1 working tandem. Maybe it was just the first jump and beingso focused on what I needed to do, but it just didn't wow me like I thought it would. With the cost, and time required, I'm somewhat unsure about continuing. I'm planning on doing at least level 2 and 3 to see how I feel then, but I really expected more of a, "Holy shit, I'm skydiving!" response. It was really more of a, "Hmmm... that was interesting"

Thoughts???

Hey SurfNJump.

Welcome to the skies.

Was your AFF Level 1 a tandem jump ? :o

Wait til you actually complete you first non-tandem jump. Thats when it get real....then you will have a better idea if it "wows" you.

If you "Generally can't sit still and always looking for the next thing to learn" then this sport will be a good challenge :)
Good luck

Thanks to all for the input.
I’m set up to go tomorrow for level 2- will report back.
I’ve been practicing a lot so there will be less thinking about what I need to do next, and (hopefully) more thrill of the jump. Fingers crosssed...
👎🏻🤙🏻👍🏻👉🏻
Jetsurfer, Wakesurfer, wakeboarder, snowboarder, Jeeper, home DIY guy, wrencher... Generally can't sit still and always looking for the next thing to learn

I’ll be in my own rig, with an instructor on each side. Today is the day. 👍🏻 Weather looks good. Wish me luck for a stable flight, and a soft landing.

My first jump was AFF. At age 54, I had some experience with things that are interesting and I had been in a jump plane, secured by the open door, some years before my first jump. On my first jump I was told to start making my way toward my exit position (Caravan). My heart started pounding and then settled in less then 10 seconds. I remember thinking, "Was that IT"?

I had some specific goals when I started jumping. Never was one of those goals "to be thrilled". 15 or 20 jumps into my training I did something that was really fun for me and that was nice to be really enjoying the sport. But as a serious student, there was not a lot of time to just have fun. It was "fun" but getting the jumps done properly often was top of the list and the fun would come later.
I was a much better ground student than when I was in the air. I had to really work to preform at a reasonable level, so that focus also kept me from the fun a bit. But I knew I wanted to jump and I pushed through the student phase.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Never got to do it- Drove 90 minutes to DZ, did ground work, suited up, wind too high-
Wait
Wait
Wait hours...
Wind too high
Drove 90 minutes home. It's a way cool sport, I just don't want to devote so much time and money into 7 minutes of fun.
I'll stick to my wakeboarding, wakesurfing, Jetsurfing summers and probably drop in for a quick tandem once a year.

Enjoy youselves up there!

SurfnJump

Never got to do it- Drove 90 minutes to DZ, did ground work, suited up, wind too high-
Wait
Wait
Wait hours...
Wind too high

That sucks man, I can empathise. Just the other day I went in for AFF2, and had almost exactly the same experience you just had. But I don't do any other cool sports like you, so I'm gonna try again. Only looking to get down to the DZ on a perfect day from now on. They say winds are usually softer early in the morning, so this might mean some early starts for me lol :P

shorehambeach

Wait til you actually complete you first non-tandem jump. Thats when it get real

I found this to be very true. It was a VERY fulfilling feeling when I landed my own canopy during AFF1. Though I dropped to my knees after touchdown. I'll get there lol

SurfnJump

Wait
Wait
Wait hours...
Wind too high
Drove 90 minutes home. It's a way cool sport, I just don't want to devote so much time and money into 7 minutes of fun.
I'll stick to my wakeboarding, wakesurfing, Jetsurfing summers and probably drop in for a quick tandem once a year.

Enjoy youselves up there!

They told me (many times) the most important skill an AFF-student should have is reading books. Because you'll have TONS of time to do so.

I was really quick to complete my AFF according to what fellow jumpers tell me, I did it in a month (DZ only open on weekends).
Ground work was on a day with -2°C and snow on the ground, so no jumping.
AFF1 was after 2hours of waiting, went back up 1h later and didn't get to do my LVL2 because of incoming clouds.
AFF2 was a jump at 6.30PM after waiting at the DZ since 9AM.
I got to do AFF3 as first load of the day, but waited until 7pm afterwards with no more jumping (winds)
Then I got lucky and did AFF 4, 5 and 6 in one day, and got to go back at 5pm the day after and did AFF 7 and my first solo.

From then on it gets only better. Many times I've arrived at the DZ and been in the plane less than 15 minutes later, including manifesting, getting rental gear and gearing up!

In short: stick with it, after your AFF it all mellows out and only becomes easier!
  • Like 1

It's too bad you didn't at least get to experience it by yourself.

That being said, the first thing I learned in skydiving was PATIENCE... I am a naturally active person and sitting there for a few hours, watching more experienced ppl jump (me not jumping due to winds) or waiting for an instructor was annoying at first....

But if it wasnt meant to be it wasnt meant to be.

On 2/6/2019 at 11:46 PM, JimmyDurden said:

Why would you continue to do something you did not enjoy?  Especially something expensive and risky like skydiving?

You are absolutely right, however the reason he didnt continue was because of the waiting and location of the DZ being 90 mins away.

The being expensive and risky part, I am almost certain he was aware of the costs and risks before hand.

I am on my AFF course (had to pause for tragic reasons that I explain in another thread), but I do like to do just one jump a day. I'm a slow learner and this pace works for me. I would always arrive early, and be on the first flight (no wait time!!!!), then I would hang around the Dropzone for the rest of the day! I love to watch fun jumpers land, and watch my instructor teach other people, and I've made some new friends! When the last flight is done, we'd have beers and call it a day! I think it's worth the 2 hour drive from home!