doedeclare

Hello friends! SoCal newbie here!

Hello I'm Elle and I'm so happy to be here. I did my first tandem jump last Wednesday in Perris and as I've seen the story go around here, as soon as I touched the ground all I could think about was going back into the sky. I didn't have any fear going into it or throughout the entire process, and my excitement was 400% reinforced after the jump. I couldn't stop thinking about it and watched my video over and over and decided to do another tandem on Sunday just to make sure I loved it as much as I thought I did. When my instructor asked me how it was all I could say was it was better than the first. I'm ready to sign up for the AFF class at Perris and start working towards my A license. I would love to find out how to meet people and find friends in my area or any surrounding areas that are into this sport (I'm in Orange County) as all of my friends think I'm mad for pursuing this. I've always been a bit of a hedonist, but I have yet to find anything that has felt this incredible. If anyone has any suggestions at all I would love to hear them and learn more about the sport and culture.

doedeclare

Hello I'm Elle and I'm so happy to be here. I did my first tandem jump last Wednesday in Perris and as I've seen the story go around here, as soon as I touched the ground all I could think about was going back into the sky. I didn't have any fear going into it or throughout the entire process, and my excitement was 400% reinforced after the jump. I couldn't stop thinking about it and watched my video over and over and decided to do another tandem on Sunday just to make sure I loved it as much as I thought I did. When my instructor asked me how it was all I could say was it was better than the first. I'm ready to sign up for the AFF class at Perris and start working towards my A license. I would love to find out how to meet people and find friends in my area or any surrounding areas that are into this sport (I'm in Orange County) as all of my friends think I'm mad for pursuing this. I've always been a bit of a hedonist, but I have yet to find anything that has felt this incredible. If anyone has any suggestions at all I would love to hear them and learn more about the sport and culture.

Stick with the skydiving and you'll start meeting like-minded people automatically. Or hang out at the DZ even when you're not jumping. Besides, being at the DZ, even after you've finished jumping or aren't even getting to that day is a great way to learn about the sport. I don't mean the sort of stuff your instructor will be teaching you, just more of the background of The Greatest Sport in the World.
I know what you mean though about needing to find other people. I started long before the internet and it was so frustrating to not have anyone to talk skydiving with during the week. Unfortunately I was jumping at a DZ that was over an hours drive away and closed during the week. It was maddening. But when I was at the DZ I spent all of my down time reading the piles of Parachutist and other stuff lying around and listening to more experienced jumpers explaining how things were done.
Hang in there and welcome to The Sport.

Yes I have a suggestion. Sign up for AFF. All of the pieces of the puzzle will fall into place after that. Stop talking to your old friends about skydiving. They can’t understand and there is nothing you can say to get them to understand, so don’t waste your time and breath. You will meet lots and lots and lots of people who will understand the more you jump and you will enjoy each jump more than the last. I promise ;).

Thanks for the replies!! I got a bit sick this week (I wonder if its from the jumps?) and figure out which day to do my AFF over the weekend as long as I'm feeling better. I'm going out of town the majority of May and know that if I don't go before then I'll be thinking about it the entire time, but also know that if I go before then I will just be itching to go again. Luckily I have a pretty open schedule and can go when I want, I just am trying to not become obsessive so immediately.

doedeclare

Thanks for the replies!! I got a bit sick this week (I wonder if its from the jumps?) and figure out which day to do my AFF over the weekend as long as I'm feeling better. I'm going out of town the majority of May and know that if I don't go before then I'll be thinking about it the entire time, but also know that if I go before then I will just be itching to go again. Luckily I have a pretty open schedule and can go when I want, I just am trying to not become obsessive so immediately.

Depending on what you mean by "sick", it's fairly unlikely it was from jumping.

One thing to keep in mind is that students need to stay current (well, all jumpers do, but students have a shorter time frame).
You need to jump at least once every 30 days or go back and repeat the last level.
If you are going to 'be out of town' and unable to jump, you may want to hold off until you are able to jump on a regular basis.

Don't bother 'trying not to become obsessed.' It's far, far too late for that.

You can read through the SIM, it's available as a free download.

https://uspa.org/Portals/0/files/Man_SIM_2018.pdf

You can also read the "Skydiving Duck".

http://tailotherat.blogspot.com/2011/08/sky-diving-duck-ii-chicken-of-sky.html

Try not to spend too much time on here. There is a lot of good info, but there's stuff you won't really understand, and a bit of bad info here and there. Until you have some experience, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It seems to be a cold or allergies I think. If I were to jump outside of the US does that count towards my A license? I'll be going to the UK and Amsterdam if you know of any good dropzones in that general vicinity.

And LOL at trying not to become obsessed. I knew it was too late for me as soon as the first jump, I have just gotten not-so-great feedback from my friends so I've been trying to downplay everything in general. I'm glad you guys get it though.

Thanks for the links- the SIM will be my go to before bed reading now!

First off, beware of jumping with any sinus congestion. If you are 'stuffed up' the pressure can build up and do damage. The pain can be really intense (and distracting). Not being able to see out of your goggles because your nose is bleeding really bad is not a good thing to have to deal with (guess how I know those :P).

Yes, all jumps count, but tandems quickly reach the point of 'diminishing returns.'
Toss in the congestion (which always lasts longer than you think) and I'd stay on the ground over there. The plane ride should be ok. Airliners are pressurized to around 5k, we go up to 14k. And we climb and especially descend a lot faster. OTC decongestants work, but I only use real Sudafed (the stuff you have to sign for) for jumping. The others can make you drowsy.

To a large degree the 'wuffos' (people who ask "What for (whuffo) you jump from an airplane?") will never get it. A few will be sorta interested, but not enough for you to go into real detail. Some will say 'I've always wanted to do that someday', but if you offer to bring them out with you to the DZ to do a tandem this weekend, they will say 'no, I meant someday, not today.'

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

The best way to meet people is to just jump. If you learn at perris stop by the perris organizers room and introduce yourself after you finish aff or even before if you like. They have some post aff coaching that is free and beats doing solo jumps. Then once you get your A license they can organize you in small group jumps. You will learn a lot jumping with them and getting video debriefs for free.

Other than jumping, just talk to people while waiting for the plane or while packing your gear up. Don't be afraid to ask questions there either. Perris has some of the best people in all the disciplines whether its belly, freefly, wingsuiting, base or canopy piloting.

Congrats!!! I just finished my AFF levels 1 and 2 yesterday! My FJC instructor was amazing and both of my AFF jump instructors were just as cool. Weekdays seem to be much less busy if thats a concern of yours and you want to get through them quickly.

Maybe someone else can touch on this question a bit, but my flaring capabilities are pretty dismal. I'm a woman and have basically no upper arm strength. I can perform the control check canopy flare, but on landing it seems to be much harder... I think I need to get some weights and work out, but I'm open to suggestions!

You aren't the first woman to have trouble flaring.

Read this thread:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4868856;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

doedeclare

Congrats!!! I just finished my AFF levels 1 and 2 yesterday! My FJC instructor was amazing and both of my AFF jump instructors were just as cool. Weekdays seem to be much less busy if thats a concern of yours and you want to get through them quickly.

Maybe someone else can touch on this question a bit, but my flaring capabilities are pretty dismal. I'm a woman and have basically no upper arm strength. I can perform the control check canopy flare, but on landing it seems to be much harder... I think I need to get some weights and work out, but I'm open to suggestions!

Just a couple of suggestions here, but I'm not an instructor so double check me on this. You might want to open a little high, check with the load master and everyone first and make sure it's ok, but if it is open a little high and practice your flares at altitude. A lot. This way you can try different things. like being careful to keep your elbows against your side, that sort of thing.
Also, there's a huge difference in how different canopies flare and if I remember correctly some of the big student canopies can take much more muscle to flare than even a sensible off student canopy.

Passed my last AFF today and had a smooth stand up landing! Thanks for the tips on flare strength. I've been doing arm workouts and it has made a world of a difference. I can now actually complete a full flare and was able to safely land and stand up 4/7 AFF jumps. Can't wait to go through my solos and coach jumps this week.

doedeclare

Passed my last AFF today and had a smooth stand up landing! Thanks for the tips on flare strength. I've been doing arm workouts and it has made a world of a difference. I can now actually complete a full flare and was able to safely land and stand up 4/7 AFF jumps. Can't wait to go through my solos and coach jumps this week.

Welcome to The Sport.

Hello again! I thought I'd pop in on this thread in case any other newbies are questioning whether or not to continue on in the sport. Six months later, 105 skydives, B-licensed, 2 severely sprained ankles, dozens of bruises and dirt showers, 3 canopy courses, countless laughs, smiles and high fives, I have to say that this journey continues to get better each and every day. I learn something from every jump and am now working towards serious goals to progress my skill and knowledge. The people I've met are invaluable to me and I wonder how I've gone through life thus far without this community. I'm stoked to be here and appreciate every warm welcome and piece of advice that's been shared with me!