drdm

American newbie in Germany

Hey all, a bit of fresh meat here. I finished my AFF out of Kassel-Calden last Fall, and I'm pumped to start properly working on my A-license in a couple of weeks when the season here starts up again. Excited to join the community, and add yet another entry in my ever-growing list of dangerous-seeming, gravity-antagonistic hobbies with expensive gear (off-piste and ski-touring, climbing, mountain-biking...) ;)

drdm

Hey all, a bit of fresh meat here. I finished my AFF out of Kassel-Calden last Fall, and I'm pumped to start properly working on my A-license in a couple of weeks when the season here starts up again. Excited to join the community, and add yet another entry in my ever-growing list of dangerous-seeming, gravity-antagonistic hobbies with expensive gear (off-piste and ski-touring, climbing, mountain-biking...) ;)

Congrats to AFF! Calden is a well reputated professional place where I started years ago - and in the beginning of my career, I f*cked up royally there even they tried their best >:(;)

Are you going to work on your German license? As we do not have differentiation like A- etc. licenses ....

Anyhow, don't look for danger, look for safe skydiving - good luck B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Thanks! Yeah, I've found them to be really welcoming and supportive - I messed up a handful of jumps as well (the canopy flight was pretty intuitive for me, but it took me a while to get the "hang" of freefall), and they were consistently very direct about what I needed to correct while still being quite patient and supportive (which I guess is the German way :D).

christelsabine

Are you going to work on your German license? As we do not have differentiation like A- etc. licenses ....

Good point - I guess it'll probably end up being the DFV license, as I don't see any mention of USPA on their website (nor are they listed on the USPA website). Though maybe it's worth asking if there's an instructor there with whom it's possible to do the USPA license instead? If it's not too much of a bother to ask, is there much of a functional difference between the two in the end, or is it mostly just that USPA has the easy-to-follow letter ratings and a wider base?