Uttamdang

Newbie Requires Info & Input

Fellow Brethren, Greetings! :)

Having always wanted to get into skydiving, I think this year is perfect. I'm looking for some thoughts on the following questions before I commit to an AFF!

1. Recommendation on a DZ famous within this community for student training / AFFs? -- I've looked into a particular DZ in Spain that fits my requirements but then research led to one in Belgium ( that offers a really affordable AFF ) and one in Russia ( detailed course description - the best one I've seen over a few DZ websites although obviously that may or may not effect the real course and also language might be a problem in Russia ).

2. A DZ near a wind tunnel will be great as I plan to get some tunnel time before my AFF.

3. Any info on Insurance ( third party ? ) and how it works in AFF Courses? I've searched online but could find nothing that makes sense to me. Are there companies that cover skydiving / emergencies etc ?

3. For info only - Why are students not given permission to wear a camera before a limited number of jumps. I've always thought that would be a great way to help learning the course?

All / any thoughts will be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Blue Skies!

Uttam

Hey, congrats on taking the decision to become part of the family!

I can't answer for the first 2 questions, but If you want to know more about the AFF course, I am actually about to post a video just about the levels of AFF course this week, so stay tuned on my FB or Youtube channel (in my signature).

#3 - About the camera. When you'll start you'll jump with instructors and coaches who will have camera to debrief you. The reason why you need more experience to have one yourself is that whenever someone has a camera, their attention tends to go to getting the best shot instead of being safe in their skydive. Not talking about being able to react in case of a malfunction due to the camera itself.

Hope this helps!

Looking forward to see you progress in the sport!
Just Launched a Brand New Youtube Channel All About Skydiving!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXYd4K-SNSjeZqDZs9f78JQ
Facebook:https://www.fb.com/skydive.vibes/

Uttamdang

3. For info only - Why are students not given permission to wear a camera before a limited number of jumps. I've always thought that would be a great way to help learning the course?

A few reasons. First, they are a snag hazard. If the bridle wraps around your camera, you've potentially got a horseshoe malfunction which is a serious malfunction. Also, when people wear cameras sometimes they start to loose focus. They put their focus on getting a good video, not the skydive itself which is dangerous. You need to be paying attention to your surroundings and your skydive, not your camera. Last, cameras only film other people, they dont show you. The camera is on your head so all you'll see in the video is your instructor.

Here is a video of an AFF student who got his bridle wrapped around his instructor's camera. It wasent even the students camera and it still happened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9pQuBvgxLw

Yes video is a great way to help with learning.

However it needs be outside video. This provides the most benefit since it shows everything that you are doing from the outside perspective.

All wearing a camera in the formation shows is what the wearer sees and is of little use for effective debriefing.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Insurance? Sure, make sure you have medical insurance. It's very easy to get a minor sprain along the way, maybe a broken bone. Not likely, really, but possible.

Life insurance? If you have people that count on you financially, you should already have life insurance. Make sure it covers you for skydiving and flying in "non-scheduled" jump planes. Some policies do (mine does), some don't.

"3. For info only - Why are students not given permission to wear a camera before a limited number of jumps. I've always thought that would be a great way to help learning the course? "

In 1979 I watched a first jump student try to talk Laurie into letting him attach an Estes rocket camera to his chest strap. It was small and lightweight and he pointed out that it would automatically snap a shot as he exited. No go, she shut him down. So at least it's not a new situation. Welcome to the sport, you'll be an experienced jumper with a GoPro in no time.

edited to add: I'm not an instructor so I get to pass on the whole question.