Meso

A First Look At the Future of Dropzone.com

Good day!

You may have seen us discussing our ongoing redesign of dropzone.com

We're aware that times have changed since our last website update, and as such we've been working hard for the past 18 months or so on developing the new face of the site.

But what we need now, is your help!

We're beginning to reach the end stages, and would love to get some of the frequent, long time members on the site to come and visit what we're working on and to give us some feedback and do some testing.

While we've done this extensively ourselves, having outside input can be extremely useful and we'd love to hear your thoughts on what you feel is lacking or what you like about our new design.

If you're active on any section of the website, and have been a long time member who is keen to see what the site holds going forward, and wish to assist us in ensuring we can provide the best possible website for you guys. Please drop me a PM and we'll get you set up with access and some info on how you can assist :)

Thanks! And we hope you're as excited as we are.

Westerly

When is the new website to come online? I love the knowledge on the site and I appreciate that it's online, but the BB code on this website absurdly outdated.

And I love the classic look of current Dropzone.com. Could stay like that, for me. I am so used to it.

skydiverek

***When is the new website to come online? I love the knowledge on the site and I appreciate that it's online, but the BB code on this website absurdly outdated.

And I love the classic look of current Dropzone.com. Could stay like that, for me. I am so used to it.

.Yes, many people say that about a lot of things but if we went with that opinion then Windows 95 would still be the latest operating system and we would all be operating on 56k dial-up modems. Tech needs to advance and websites need to get refreshed whether someone likes it or not because it moves us forward as a whole. Many of the websites you enjoy today exist because someone ignored the opinion to leave things alone and they updated it anyway. If you look at other modern BBs, they are a lot more than just a forum. They are an interactive website that serves as a full resource for whatever topic they serve (e.g. automobiles repair or whatever). Legacy bullion boards that just serve as forums are mostly gone now. The only major one I can think of is Redit and to a lesser extent Craigslist. Pretty much every other one has been updated and it's far better now than it was long before.

Well, that's your opinion.

I sometimes feel that too much time is invested in "cool optional gimmicks" and too little in functionality and user friendlyness. This forum may be basic, but at least it is relatively easy to use.
Going with your windows analogy, Win95 was easier to work with than Vista. Windows 7 was way better than Vista. Windows 8 sucks on any non-touch screen. Now we're afflicted with Windows 10 and the flashy moving start menu with all its revolving tile crap is driving me crazy.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Dz.com has all that other stuff; it’s under tabs. I like the forum as it is, but there are probably other ways to organize the other knowledge in here.
And personally, I loved Windows XP. Because I’d rather have slightly fewer features in exchange for faster response, and more robust performance otherwise.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Old-school is cool! Gimme WinXP and the original look of iOS. I still have 4.x on a iPhone 3GS, just because. I also have a laptop with XP.

Albums, cassettes and 8-tracks are cool too, along with Betamax! And CDs!

New isn't always better. Mostly it's just marketing to convince people to spend their money chasing the latest and greatest...

And when that EMP burst hits, the only vehicles left driving will be those with old-school point-distributors. The rest of you will be left waiting for the zombies to bite. :D

And for the record, WinXP was the bomb. Solid, fast, reliable... just like your old girlfriend.

Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Limiting photos to .5mb keeps me away.

This is definitely something that will change, when we original put these limits in place, a 500kb file was quite a large one. However, we realize that times have changed and the new site will definitely take this into account. 500kb is definitely way too small of a limit.

When is the new website to come online? I love the knowledge on the site and I appreciate that it's online, but the BB code on this website absurdly outdated.

There's no official ETA just yet, but we've got some internal goals which let's just say, are in the pretty near future. But we've still got a few tasks that need to be completed before we roll it out.

We're nearly there though :)

cjdskydiver

Old-school is cool! Gimme WinXP and the original look of iOS. I still have 4.x on a iPhone 3GS, just because. I also have a laptop with XP.

Albums, cassettes and 8-tracks are cool too, along with Betamax! And CDs!

New isn't always better. Mostly it's just marketing to convince people to spend their money chasing the latest and greatest...

Yip. Those new fangled horseless carriages would never have caught on if it wasn't for the marketing.....

:P