dgingold

EpicenePro

I am sure its a lovely canopy but have to laugh at all the marketing blurb "best in class opening behaviour " according to what, that rigorous 1000's of jumps with every other canopy in this class! ;) I am sure its a great canopy but so many capable wingsuit canopies out there now. The only concern I have heard is around low bulk materials wearing out pretty damn quick compared to traditional zp materials.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

I flew an epicene 150 and 170 for around 400 jumps. Worst canopies I’ve ever flown but they do open nice like a reserve. Zero flare and very little get back from a long spot. I did demo the Horizon and it’s like an Epicene but it at least has a flare. My recommendation is correct body position to have a good opening and get a ZP canopy. But there will be tons of opinions on the topic. I would ignore the marketing and demo a few things if you are in the market for a new canopy.

BryanCampau

I flew an epicene 150 and 170 for around 400 jumps. Worst canopies I’ve ever flown but they do open nice like a reserve. Zero flare and very little get back from a long spot. I did demo the Horizon and it’s like an Epicene but it at least has a flare. My recommendation is correct body position to have a good opening and get a ZP canopy. But there will be tons of opinions on the topic. I would ignore the marketing and demo a few things if you are in the market for a new canopy.

I'll second that. They basically threw away everything else to make the opening more stable, which seems to be a newbie issue more than anything. Then I also know 3 ppl with Outlaws, they all hate them. SQ makes the best WS's in my opinion, but the canopies are sub par.

kat00

Whatever happened to NZ aerosports Kraken for wingsuits? Its listed on the demos but I haven't heard about them at all otherwise. It would be interesting to compare all the canopies.

We had some demos couple weeks back in Finland.

If you want a canopy that opens nicely despite of shitty body position - you can get one. (although I still managed to get line-twists on one jump and my position was not that shitty - so don't expect miracles)

If you rather make some (quite little actually) effort and learn proper opening position - get some 9 cell like Safire3 (if we talk about NZ) - much more fun to fly and land.

Kraken is as dull and boring as all other "super-awesome" trendy WS canopies for people that want results without doing any work. In addition to that inputs (risers and toggles) are quite hard. Flare is weak and not much bottom end (actually it doesn't even flare before bottom end)
One good thing - it packs smaller. I tested 149 and it packed way smaller than Sabre1 150.

You should try a Hayduke. And the Ibex had a strong flare. The Outlaw (like the OSP) is designed more around slow speeds and super stable in deep brakes and stalls than around a nice flare. The flare on both my Outlaws and my OSP was minimal compared to the flare on the Hayduke.
Whats the point of living if you aren't doing what you love?

DanielRistow

You should try a Hayduke. And the Ibex had a strong flare. The Outlaw (like the OSP) is designed more around slow speeds and super stable in deep brakes and stalls than around a nice flare. The flare on both my Outlaws and my OSP was minimal compared to the flare on the Hayduke.

I really like my Outlaw Lite. I am also pretty new to the base and land in a lot of small areas. Lots of sinking in approaches. I have head great things about the Hayduke, I think if I start doing more slider up stuff I will get one. If you are used to flying a base canopy like the outlaw the epicene has a pretty solid flare.

Just wait until next year for the Hayduke 2.

[:/] Keep the BASE canopy bashing to the other forum

Back to the Epicene 2 it looks like the ZP on the nose has been has been added to the nose and the trim and been changed. I think these will make this a much more well rounded canopy as beside the sponsored athletes I have not heard many good things about the canopy other than the opening performance.

You put 1100 jumps on a low bulk material in 18 months and haven’t noticed a change in performance? Did you convince someone to re line that canopy or is it on the original line set?

Manufacturer aside - i don’t see this being possible.

I’ve known others to have noticeable issues in less than 500 jumps on low bulk. It’s not a stab at any brand/design - it’s the nature of the material. Even the manufacturers don’t claim them to exceed 500 jumps.

BryanCampau

You put 1100 jumps on a low bulk material in 18 months and haven’t noticed a change in performance? Did you convince someone to re line that canopy or is it on the original line set?

Manufacturer aside - i don’t see this being possible.

I’ve known others to have noticeable issues in less than 500 jumps on low bulk. It’s not a stab at any brand/design - it’s the nature of the material. Even the manufacturers don’t claim them to exceed 500 jumps.

I too am a little doubtful of this claim. I feel like the only way it could happen is a light wing loading and mostly landing in decent winds. There’s just no way that thing would still be flaring with the same power after than many jumps. Maybe a super oblivious canopy pilot? Haha

Hell my wingsuit with 500 jumps on it has noticeably less performance lol

I have 350 jumps on my Epicene. It opens great, but it flares like dog shit. Giving it a little fronts helps, but its still no where near the flare power of a Horizon or WinX.

The Epicene is a great canopy for someone who wants really nice openings, and to just get to the ground safely. If you enjoy canopy piloting even in the slightest though, the WinX is a wayyy better canopy.

Will be interested to see if the Epicene Pro actually flies any different than the original.
Fly slow, pull low
I'm the best skydiver on the mountain!

RolandForbes

I have 350 jumps on my Epicene. It opens great, but it flares like dog shit. Giving it a little fronts helps, but its still no where near the flare power of a Horizon or WinX.

The Epicene is a great canopy for someone who wants really nice openings, and to just get to the ground safely. If you enjoy canopy piloting even in the slightest though, the WinX is a wayyy better canopy.

Will be interested to see if the Epicene Pro actually flies any different than the original.

I have heard from people that have jumped both, the pro really does flare better than the original.