davenuk

got my WS1 this weekend

it was a total surprise, i wasn't even trying for it, just practicing when the guy reviewed my video and said yep no probs, i also nailed the landing deadcenter which was buzzing.

stoked? yep! B|

so question - i see my free fall delays climbing...

what sort of delay should i be seeing if i'm flying the thing decent?

would 120 seconds over say 10kft be reasonable?

80kilos in a phantom 3.

thank you!

My personal best for time in a ppc competition in a phantom3 was around 50s (1000m vertical window). There are people who have done over 60s.

This does include a dive and flare but sustained vertical speeds of 70km/h are achievable. 10kft~3km Which translates to around 180s freefall time at which point you will be rather tired ;) So yes 2min should be achievable

I am 6ft and 70kg without gear for reference.

davenuk

it was a total surprise, i wasn't even trying for it, just practicing when the guy reviewed my video and said yep no probs, i also nailed the landing deadcenter which was buzzing.

stoked? yep! B|

80kilos in a phantom 3.

thank you!

Being slow and flaoty isn't the best way to wingsuit. Power comes from speed.

roostnureye

what the hell is a WS1?

A British (BPA) rating system for wingsuiting, has steps, like how many people you should fly with, what type of flying you are capable of etc. They require 500 jumps to WS I think because... lol who knows.

Anyway, as was hinted at before, if you plan on jumping big suits, speed is the new hotness. It offers you a lot more energy to play with and speed=lift, at least with bigger suits (you probably won't feel it as much on your P3).

The P3 is freakin fantastic though, it is an awesome platform to learn a lot on. The biggest things to focus on to pay off in the future are basic aerobatics like rolls and stable back flying, getting comfortable flying unstable, and then of course, going steep and fast. Slow and floaty is kinda on the outs unless you just like it or if it's for a competition.

But to answer you question, learning to fly slow and floaty is a worthwhile skill, and you should be able to approach 120 seconds in a P3 at that weight, but don't fixate on time (I remember being pumped when I could break 2 min consistently, but it isn't something worth putting a lot of effort into).

it is good to start early and to try to get great performance, while you also progress in 3D flying in parallel also. Learning the tricks to glide efficient. Comes in handy when flying with other folks - we should fly fast, not fall with style.

After all this is what wingsuit'ing is about - getting that great glide isn't it?

birdynamnam

it is good to start early and to try to get great performance, while you also progress in 3D flying in parallel also. Learning the tricks to glide efficient. Comes in handy when flying with other folks - we should fly fast, not fall with style.

After all this is what wingsuit'ing is about - getting that great glide isn't it?

I would bet getting the best glide does not mean how long you stay in the air
BASE 1519

It's not about time, it's about glide. Time will increase as you improve your understanding of glide. Speed beeing desired over float absolutely. I think this is a great debate, and I always teach people to fly, to glide efficiently, as they progress. It makes for better pilots overall. So I prioritize speed always and teach people to do this. Wingsuits likes speed, they thrive. Makes the jumps fun. Flying on my back, you must prioritize speed always also, so to avoid the flock building flying with bent knees :) Kicking the Bee cube there. Let's fly fast and then get good "times!"

Fly with as many other wingsuiters as you can. Travel for it, since that's half the fun of being a skydiver. Don't always fly with the same organizer. Visit the new tunnel in Stockholm before you develop any bad habits.

Being a data nerd is fun and its part of wingsuiting, but learning to fly isn't a solo activity.

@CrashProne - head down ws? :D

cheers for the replies, i thought that if i were flying it efficiently i'd get the longest freefall time, and that's not necessarily flying it slow, but rather as fast as i can at the right pitch.

the faster it goes the more lift it will generate right?

Think about it like this (imagine the necessary leaf and paper airplane to make it work), a leaf falls more slowly (spends more time in the air) than a paper airplane, but the paper airplane travels much further along the ground. Speed = lift, which = glide ratio; but speed is always going to mean you're going down fast too since we don't have an engine.

From personal experience, in a big suit, my max glide is about 60mph vertical, minimum sink is about 30mph vertical.

Just as a btw, you may not be able to notice a big difference on your P3 (don't get discouraged), when I was learning I couldn't. The effect seems to be a lot more substantial above the "intermediate range." So like the next step up from a Havok/Funk/R-Bird.

In the big suit range the effect is extreme by comparison (for me it feels absolutely demonstratively different). And for me anyway, I can't make max glide immediately after exit, it takes 10-15 seconds of flying steeper to build up speed. I'm not versed enough in aerodynamics to explain it (or even properly understand it) but my impression is there is a IAS barrier that has to be exceeded to achieve max glide, and that is faster than a good cut on exit, so you have to accelerate before you can glide maximally; or maybe I'm just a crappy wingsuiter.

LeeroyJenkins

***it was a total surprise, i wasn't even trying for it, just practicing when the guy reviewed my video and said yep no probs, i also nailed the landing deadcenter which was buzzing.

stoked? yep! B|

80kilos in a phantom 3.

thank you!

NOT TRUE
if that's what you are looking to get out of WS flying.
It is certainly not advised for terrain flying though.

Cheers

Craig

kleggo

******it was a total surprise, i wasn't even trying for it, just practicing when the guy reviewed my video and said yep no probs, i also nailed the landing deadcenter which was buzzing.

stoked? yep! B|

80kilos in a phantom 3.

thank you!

NOT TRUE
if that's what you are looking to get out of WS flying.
It is certainly not advised for terrain flying though.

Cheers

Craig

Craig, I'll acknowledge your nearly 2,000 BASE jumps and 4 digit D license, but everything out there from any "authority" in WS BASE seems to state otherwise (referencing the links that birdynamnam posted in addition to the information the SQ has released on the subject that agrees with it). See "Myth 2" .

Or is there a miscommunication somewhere?