LPMS

The big question !!! Epicene, Horizon or Winx ? Witch one is the best for wingsuit jump and why ?

Wingload keep it below 1.4.

THe canopies mentioned has been developed for Wingsuit flying and are all good choices. You miss the Pilot-7 in the list though.

Personally I don't want to jump own have anymore canopies in low porosity material (f-111 etc). Material deteriorate quickly compared to ZP. So for me it is ZP. I jump the Winx150 @ 1.5 and love it. Roughly 300 jums so far, not a single linetwist.

Winx and Pilot-7, I think these two are the top dogs, at least my preferred. If you want even lower wl on those, you can order them in hybrid materiels, like ZP on all topskin and low prorosity on the rest. That still makes them more high performance than the alternatives, Epicene and Horizon. Those just have small strips of ZP in certain areas.

My choice is all ZP, with the Winx it works well. If you get a Winx, remember that the way they measure the canopy size is a bit different. E.g. a 150 is really 144. They document this in the manual.

But other things play in to get rid of linetwists, besides a good deployment technique, lengt of bridle (8' or above), a fresh pilotchute, I prefer ZP and 30" actually a SkySnatch, D-bag semistowless, Your rig's main container with open corners, good packing technique.

All parameters play in. As an example if you upsized your wingsuit, you now have different speed at deployments and larger burble trailing behind you, it will require lower wingsload, and all the tricks in the book as described above suddently, where you might previously have done well without.

I have to second the post above me the WinX is an amazing canopy made by a base canopy mfg and it shows. Packs super duper small. It's all ZP and fun as hell to fly. I load mine (135) at 1.55 and its never failed me yet. I've had zero problem getting back from long sports.

I've flown side by side with a P7 and it seems to glide better although we did have different wing loadings.

I fly with someone who has an epicine 190 and he has no where near the same performance or glide as I do. He's landed off while I've made it back.

I also have to say ZP will without question last longer than f111. I like the idea with it for opening characteristics and pack volume. With the WinX there isn't a need for the f111. It opens great!!

Oh and I fly the winx with a Carve and a Strix and its the bees knees so get yourself one. (and its cheaper than the other f111 options that wont last as long)
Belt and Suspenders

birdynamnam

Wingload keep it below 1.4.

THe canopies mentioned has been developed for Wingsuit flying and are all good choices. You miss the Pilot-7 in the list though.

Personally I don't want to jump own have anymore canopies in low porosity material (f-111 etc). Material deteriorate quickly compared to ZP. So for me it is ZP. I jump the Winx150 @ 1.5 and love it. Roughly 300 jums so far, not a single linetwist.

Winx and Pilot-7, I think these two are the top dogs, at least my preferred. If you want even lower wl on those, you can order them in hybrid materiels, like ZP on all topskin and low prorosity on the rest. That still makes them more high performance than the alternatives, Epicene and Horizon. Those just have small strips of ZP in certain areas.

My choice is all ZP, with the Winx it works well. If you get a Winx, remember that the way they measure the canopy size is a bit different. E.g. a 150 is really 144. They document this in the manual.

But other things play in to get rid of linetwists, besides a good deployment technique, lengt of bridle (8' or above), a fresh pilotchute, I prefer ZP and 30" actually a SkySnatch, D-bag semistowless, Your rig's main container with open corners, good packing technique.

All parameters play in. As an example if you upsized your wingsuit, you now have different speed at deployments and larger burble trailing behind you, it will require lower wingsload, and all the tricks in the book as described above suddently, where you might previously have done well without.

Thx for all the advise, i think am gonna go for the winx, do you know any dealer in Canada or in the US ?

Awdpsi

I have to second the post above me the WinX is an amazing canopy made by a base canopy mfg and it shows. Packs super duper small. It's all ZP and fun as hell to fly. I load mine (135) at 1.55 and its never failed me yet. I've had zero problem getting back from long sports.

I've flown side by side with a P7 and it seems to glide better although we did have different wing loadings.

I fly with someone who has an epicine 190 and he has no where near the same performance or glide as I do. He's landed off while I've made it back.

I also have to say ZP will without question last longer than f111. I like the idea with it for opening characteristics and pack volume. With the WinX there isn't a need for the f111. It opens great!!

Oh and I fly the winx with a Carve and a Strix and its the bees knees so get yourself one. (and its cheaper than the other f111 options that wont last as long)

Yep the Winx is the One, where did you buy your ? do you know a rep in Canada or the US ?

LeeroyJenkins

Specter is where it is at. Great all around canopy and is great for wingsuiting. I just a Freak 2 and Specter 150 loaded at 1.5 and its fantastic and fun.

Spectre and Sabre are still good choices for those on a budget, but they aren’t so much fun when compared directly to the newer canopies in the lineup such as Storm and P7.

repcool

***Specter is where it is at. Great all around canopy and is great for wingsuiting. I just a Freak 2 and Specter 150 loaded at 1.5 and its fantastic and fun.

Spectre and Sabre are still good choices for those on a budget, but they aren’t so much fun when compared directly to the newer canopies in the lineup such as Storm and P7.

Fair point, if I could afford 2 rigs I would have a dedicated wingsuit canopy and a Aurora.

Just get an ol' good Sabre 1. The best WS canopy there is.

With a bit of flare it opens soft, fast and perfectly on-heading. And as it's 9-cell it's more fun to fly than 7-cells (especially Horizon is boring as f... - basically a Navigator with vectran lines)

Storm and WinX have very short recovery arcs (Storm's being ultra short) so if you're into front riser turns you may take that into consideration.

well used Sabre1's can work well (for a 9-cell) and they are cheap if you are on a tight budget. Personally I never liked the Sabre1's - the way they fly... As for the Storm for wingsuiting, unless wl is very low I would not go there at all - take the Sabre-1 instead. We have seen so many cutt's on Storm's here, pop, pop, pop. They tend to want to rotate/spin down when linetwists occur. Interestingly a few years ago the canopy was being pushed by PD as a "great wingsuit canopy". In my book it is at the very bottom of WS compatible canopies. I did a few hundred jumps on the Storm, and am glad it's gone. Itøs great for Tandem video folks though. Flying the Storm for Wingsuit jumps was too exciting at times. I do have a folder full of videos of people spinning, while cursing, yes, in their Storms :D

As for the fun: The Winx has relatively soft front-risers, so swoops are a definately doable and it will keep on going btw, so no shortness on dives there - if you know to do it right. Flight characteristics are top notch and I find it outperforms all other semi ellipticals out there. Horizons and Epicene are not racecars for sure, they have been built for a different purpose, eh?

I changed from Sabre2 to Horizon, and it was the right solution. Good openings are more important to me than speedier turns. Nevertheless you can have fun with the Horizon if you give some more input to risers and toggles. The flare is really great.

I can't say enough good things about the WinX. I've put about 200 jumps on mine now and it is a dream. I think the openings are perfect. There is just enough time in the snivel to rock you back slowly, and by the time your feet are swinging down the parachute is open and flying. I've only had one line twist in those 200 jumps, and I spun out of it within 2 seconds. I've jumped big and small suits with it as well.

As others have said, it is still a very fun parachute to fly. I'm no major swooper by any means, but I definitely enjoy a solid 90-180 on landing. I load my 135 a little over 1.6:1 and frequently have people come up to me after landing and say "Is that a 7 cell?!". It's amazing how much performance the parachute has when combined with the amazing openings.

I say this at the DZ a lot - I wouldn't change a thing about the WinX. The openings are amazing and reliable, it's super fun to fly, and fully ZP. I bought mine new and plan to put >1,000 jumps on it. After that, I'll order another without hesitation!

And my Triathlon 175 also works great. New Dacron lineset opens like butter and flairs good. Has nice colors that are not obnoxious. The soft South African ZP packs so nice! Maybe it's not trendy but it puts my 70-year old feet down softly where I want. Best of all, the used purchase plus reline was less than $600, leaving me some room for barley therapy in my retirement budget! I figure on it taking care of me for a few more years.

Cheers,
Tom

WINX for the WIN! For the record I jump a 170 Storm. I did my research and needed a WS friendly canopy. It seemed like right after I pulled the trigger on a Storm, ALL the WS specific canopies strung up!

The Storm isn't a bad WS canopy BUT I really want a new WINX!

The Epicene and Horizon are "WS Exclusive" , where the WINX is a general use canopy.

The other HUGE factor is the material and longevity of...

For us regular types who don't get free shit thrown at as, it's a no brainer.

timski

WINX for the WIN! For the record I jump a 170 Storm. I did my research and needed a WS friendly canopy. It seemed like right after I pulled the trigger on a Storm, ALL the WS specific canopies strung up!

The Storm isn't a bad WS canopy BUT I really want a new WINX!

The Epicene and Horizon are "WS Exclusive" , where the WINX is a general use canopy.

The other HUGE factor is the material and longevity of...

For us regular types who don't get free shit thrown at as, it's a no brainer.

I know you can terminal jump an epicene but is the winx really all around 7 cell? There isn't any real information on max weights, pack volume and aspect rations. Plus it worries me there doesn't seem to be a US dealer to go through.

It's also confusing since both Icarus NZ and Icarus world are supposedly releasing wingsuit canopies but I haven't heard specifics.

Winx, yes it is fine for terminal use, but it has been developed for Wingsuiting in the skydiving environment, just saying... Snivel phase is very short but openings are still soft. Their website isn't too great to say the least haha :D Anyway all the information you ask for is however available in the Winx manual, wl charts etc