Cathbern

Looking for kickass skydive pics - All due credit and more

Hey gang,

I am starting a project on Instagram (link to come) and I am looking for kickass pictures of skydives. I know we have a lot of talented cameramen/camerawomen in our sport so looking to see if some would like to be featured.

All credit will be given to the photograph and I can even promote a link of any kind (Instagram profile, FB, website or email)

This is how we can work as a team. I get kickass pics and you get traffic and fame! :P

Thanks a lot,
Catherine Bernier
Just Launched a Brand New Youtube Channel All About Skydiving!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXYd4K-SNSjeZqDZs9f78JQ
Facebook:https://www.fb.com/skydive.vibes/

Well, this got me thinking - and it's a thought I've had for quite a time. The thought is: "My god - another one? why?"

I'd love to hear what others think about this. I am neither judging nor trying to keep you from doing what you wanna do. It's a free world and I think it is important to stay like this. (it is a legal grey-zone that is only grey because of social acceptance and the effort that must be pursued to fight for your right while at the same time loosing time to create plus loosing traffic because many people disagree. So I'm not going to sue anyone) Part of this free world are healthy discussions and I'd really like to hear other opinions. Sorry if this highjacks your thread! (maybe it will even steer traffic your way through)

I've been trying to make a living from photography exclusively for 10 years now and trying as hard as I can to combine this with skydiving. I am obviously professionally biased, and I love to learn new things every day :)

That said, check out my instagram: @lienbacher, you might find some. Yes this line also makes you legally entitled to use my work in your channel ;)

Oh, and please - don't start a skydiving shirt shop which you promote in the very first line and put the credit into the last line while not giving away any of your profit to the people who actually generate the content for you. As this makes me sick every time they tag me - yes, in this case I am unfortunately quite judgemental. I do see they are collecting the fruits of the work they put in. It's just, you know, I've put 15 years of work into learning how to create the content they "only collected", and I can't pay my rent with "fame", nor buy cameras, lenses, food, you get the point. Fortunately it does get me free tickets - as long as I work while jumping them ;)

Good luck with your project!
Wolfgang

lienbacher

Well, this got me thinking - and it's a thought I've had for quite a time. The thought is: "My god - another one? why?"

I'd love to hear what others think about this.

I thought the same thing but then I checked out her YouTube and saw she is actually a jumper AND going to the effort of making her own content so at least not another Lex Porter or online t-shirt designer masquerading as part of the community.

Still amazed people go for that idea of handing over good content for free for 'exposure'. One of my friends has 10k followers on Instagram and when he posts pics I've taken of him with credits that translates to sweet fuck all for me. It doesn't bother me cos I just like jumping and taking photos, but like you I can't eat Likes.

Thanks, John and Lienbacher,

I agree with you all. I have been studying (on my own) internet marketing for a while and creating good content - videos, pictures or else - is one thing. Next, you need to promote and monetize.

What people are trying (not always a success...) to do with likes and growing different social media accounts is to create a community, i.e. returning eyeballs on the profile. And this my friends is KEY because companies are willing to pay a lot for eyeballs, it's a market!

So from that point, you can now try to monetize through selling advertising spots to companies, get sponsors, selling your own products...

Likes or views don't pay but they can bring other great opportunities.

This actually gave me a video idea! ;) What about I share my marketing and business development knowledge to help fellow skydivers with something to offer (video, pictures) generate a side income and keep jumping?

Let me know what you think!

Just Launched a Brand New Youtube Channel All About Skydiving!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXYd4K-SNSjeZqDZs9f78JQ
Facebook:https://www.fb.com/skydive.vibes/

I have to hand it to you, you're more optimistic about it than I am.
I advise keeping your business knowledge to yourself and making the most of it but you might get some interest. ;)

I've been working in film and media for over 15 years now and the common thing through all that time has been the ease with which decent content can be made has increased, but the difficulty in earning a living wage for it has increased proportionally. You only have to look at things like handicam for tandems and the rise of GoPro.
Before GoPro it was like you had a few people putting in effort, investing in gear and proper camera helmet to mine for genuine gold, now everyone's an alchemist just making it in their backyard. The more of it there is available the cheaper it gets, and now today it's become 'normal' for people to just ask for it to be shared for free.