jrodrod

Sony X3000 side mount?

Yes. I have tried it for one jump on my Cookie G3. I would not recommend it.
It is bulky as fuck mounted like this, talk about snag hazard.
Also every time I turned my head when I was under canopy the camera touched the risers because it is so bulky, which is just super uncomfortable and limits your vision if you are not able to quickly turn your head, because you get stuck at the risers with the bulky shit.
If you want it side mounted, there are better options available ( at least for a Cookie ), like this:

https://www.flycookie.com/shop/accessories/sony-sleeve/

Side mounting this camera for skydiving isn't a good option. Aside from riser strikes, you'll get part of your head / face in the frame unless it's mounted pretty far fwd. Is there a reason you're looking to mount it on the side, vs top-mounting?
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

JGarcia

Side mounting this camera for skydiving isn't a good option. Aside from riser strikes, you'll get part of your head / face in the frame unless it's mounted pretty far fwd. Is there a reason you're looking to mount it on the side, vs top-mounting?

I used to jump much, much bigger camera's sidemounted. All the problems you mention are true, but managable and they were not a big deal for me. So with the X3000 I would think this would be even less of a problem.

There are plenty of reasons to use a sidemount. Jumping from small planes (C182, c206), you don't have a lot of space above your head. Climbing out of a bigger plane, much more risk of bumping the lens againt the top of the door. Dropping staticline students, sidemount gives a much better perspective (filming faces instead of the top of a helmet ;-) ).

I currently don't have one, but if I ever have time I might make one.

I am also not claiming sidemount is always better; most of the time it's not.

Yes, space reasons in tight planes. This thing doesn't look that different from the Contour that's usually mounted on the side.

Top mount also blocks visors from going up.

I'm almost tempted to try chin mount.

ETA: just saw this, for those with access to 3D printing.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2014787

User also has one for X3000 but this one has mounted pics.

jrodrod

Top mount also blocks visors from going up.

Actually this is not so bad, I have a pair of X3000's mounted on my G3. Since the lens is higher on the camera than a GoPro, you can mount it very far to the back without getting the helmet or the visor in the camera's view. I can get my visor almost al the way open.

evh

Actually this is not so bad, I have a pair of X3000's mounted on my G3. Since the lens is higher on the camera than a GoPro, you can mount it very far to the back without getting the helmet or the visor in the camera's view. I can get my visor almost al the way open.

Are you using 2 for 3D? 360? Different angles?

Which mount are you using? Since you're mounting further back, is the viewing angle elevated much?

jrodrod

Are you using 2 for 3D? 360? Different angles?

Which mount are you using? Since you're mounting further back, is the viewing angle elevated much?

Using a second camera for backup during competition, in case 1 fails.

Homebuilt mount, it's not that hard. Just a flat plate and some screws.

The angle: When standing upright, looking at the horizon in a natural position, the camera also looks straight ahead. So no, not a problem at all.
I am very happy with this setup, except when dropping staticline students from the 182.

You can change the FOV of the camera, maybe the less-wide options might remove the part of the helmet that is visible at the side.

I much prefer a top mount but when I started people were jumping side mounted CX100s and it was normal. They did have the Cookie box around them which was a bit snag resistant though.