Cathbern

Are the cameramans in danger of extinction?

Hey there,

I have noticed that many dropzone in our area are offering the handycam instead of the cameraman for tandem jumps. I simply wanted to check if that's a spread thinking among DZ.

It seems that the handycam will become the go to video offer and that the tandem cameraman will become an option. That being said, I've been told not to focus too much on becoming one due to that.

What do you guys think?
Just Launched a Brand New Youtube Channel All About Skydiving!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXYd4K-SNSjeZqDZs9f78JQ
Facebook:https://www.fb.com/skydive.vibes/

Cathbern

Hey there,

I have noticed that many dropzone in our area are offering the handycam instead of the cameraman for tandem jumps. I simply wanted to check if that's a spread thinking among DZ.

It seems that the handycam will become the go to video offer and that the tandem cameraman will become an option. That being said, I've been told not to focus too much on becoming one due to that.

What do you guys think?

Unfortunately I think this is like the question about theaters going digital. Yes, there are serious quality problems with it, but most people in the audience won't know the difference and if they did they don't get to choose anyway. And the theater owner is going with the cheaper option.
So I'd say there's a very good chance of this happening.

I agree and that’s soooo sad. Hand cam is a good addition to outside video. But anyone who says handcam is just as good as outside video. Is lying thru their teeth. And I will tell them that to their face. :(

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

I agree and that’s soooo sad. Hand cam is a good addition to outside video. But anyone who says handcam is just as good as outside video. Is lying thru their teeth. And I will tell them that to their face. :(

Outside video is much better for making a product that you and many other jumpers find to be of higher quality. A handcam held a few inches from the customer's face combined with an exit shot from an aircraft mounted camera produces a product that the customer will like better.

You just have to understand who is paying for the product and what their needs are. Some DZs push outside video because it fills slots and provides work for staff. It does not give the customer good value though.

:|
Can't we Do Both ???;)
Much easier, with a turbine dropzone, since there are More slots in the plane.... A C182 DZ,,,much simpler to manifest Two TMs, and 2 First timers, right??? Rather than the tandem Trio and a Solo.......
If the marketing is good and the student is made Aware of the Options, then Both, would make sense. As for added cost???? Ah Hell just convince 'em to swipe a charge card.... :)Plus the outside video people would still feel relevant.. and Needed..... It simply takes some Salesmanship at the point of Purchase...Share the Air !!! B|

jimmytavino

:|
Can't we Do Both ???;)
Much easier, with a turbine dropzone, since there are More slots in the plane.... A C182 DZ,,,much simpler to manifest Two TMs, and 2 First timers, right??? Rather than the tandem Trio and a Solo.......
If the marketing is good and the student is made Aware of the Options, then Both, would make sense. As for added cost???? Ah Hell just convince 'em to swipe a charge card.... :)Plus the outside video people would still feel relevant.. and Needed..... It simply takes some Salesmanship at the point of Purchase...Share the Air !!! B|

We do both, works great!

When we were a 182 and 206 dz we did only handicam.

When we grew into a Turbine dz we started offering outside, kept the handicam, and also do "ultimate" which is outside video and handicam.

We get a good mix of customers buying all three options. :)
I like that I get some jumps with handicam for the extra pay, I like that I get some jumps where both of my hands are free, I also like the ultimate jumps. I can spin my handicam glove around and film the video guy that always cracks me up. :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

We do both, works great!

When we were a 182 and 206 dz we did only handicam.

When we grew into a Turbine dz we started offering outside, kept the handicam, and also do "ultimate" which is outside video and handicam.

We get a good mix of customers buying all three options. :)
I like that I get some jumps with handicam for the extra pay, I like that I get some jumps where both of my hands are free, I also like the ultimate jumps. I can spin my handicam glove around and film the video guy that always cracks me up. :D

Skydive Midwest in WI also offers both. Three packages available, H/C, outside or both. H/C is cheapest, both is most expensive, outside in the middle.

I'm not in a position to give numbers (not staff), but I see a lot of both types of video (H/C & outside) on the plane.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo