Damion

Sony a 5100 and GoPro 5

I am looking to set up a Sony a 5100 and a GoPro 5 for tandem videos. I would like the video and pictures to match up as best as possible.

The 3 lens I am looking at purchasing are the 16mm, 20mm, and 50mm.

I know there are differences between film, SLR's and now even for the mirrorless. Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn the differences? Or is there anyone out there with a similar setup that would be willing to share their experiences.

Thank you in advance for your time.

A5100 + 16mm lens view angle is about as gopro in medium angle or a bit narrower than gopro's "linear" (fisheye corrected) with stabilization.
I use Sony NEX6 + 16mm SEL16F28 lens and Sony AS200V with steadyshot on (the similar angle as gopro in medium), pictures are similar in angle, but Sony 16mm lens has no fisheye effect and it don't support PDAF, only contrast autofocus, which is slower, so I use manual focus and aperture priority.
Keep in mind that video and photo frame aspects are a bit different: 16:9 vs 3:2

I'd personally go with the 16 or the 20. A 50mm lens probably isn't the best for tandems it's a little tight for the distance you should be to get good video and probably not going to match well with the video lens. I used a 20mm lens when I shot tandem video and that seemed to work well for me. Try whatever lens you have, see how they match up and how well they frame your subject. I think you'll be happy with the 16 or the 20mm