freefalle

camera mounts

Second vote for the RRS products.

They are heavier but they are bomber and the best you can buy. Their L brackets are so well designed, it is as if they were designed with the camera.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Here's an old one but you can see that the camera is mounted horizontal. Looking at the pic, the vert mount is on the right side, just open the quick release and rotate...then lock in. Look on ebay since they aren't cheap...and fyi....I have a knock off brand for a different camera and it sucks. I'd pay for the RRS model.

my pics & stuff!

RRS mount (L-bracket).JPG

Hey man thanks for your help. How are you actually mounting the L bracket to the helmet? It looks like you have some kind of base under the L bracket thats attached to the helmet. I'm assuming you bought separate but I can't find anything like it on the RRS site. Thanks again.

There's a quick release on the helmet and the L-bar attaches to the camera. It's a dove tail style of attachment to the quick release. You can remove the camera and rotate it 90 degrees for vertical format. I'm not at home and can't get you pics...but the RRS website should show you all this.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/quick-release-plates

It's a bit of overkill but man are they nice.
my pics & stuff!

Hey guys the folks at really right stuff are a little confused about using their L plate on a helmet. I’m not having much luck finding a base quick disconnect plate that mounts to the helmet. Any help you can give as far as a part number or anything would be really appreciated!

I would imagine that they would be confused. Here's a couple of examples. I'm not at home to take pics of my setup but this should help.

The attached JPG is from ebay ('RRS quick release' search)
- The L bracket attaches to the camera...allows for horizontal or portrait mounting of the camera to the clamp
- The clamp mounts to the helmet...and basically stays there. This allows the camera (with the L bracket) to be put on the camera and removed as needed.

The quick release clamp I have is not the twist knob like this one...but an actual lever quick release (similar to the 2nd jpg). The problem with this is the tolerances are pretty tight and the cheap ass aftermarket L bracket I bought for a different camera didn't quite work....too loose.

Edit....found a better pic of the set up that might help as well....see the attached PDF.

my pics & stuff!

RRS.JPG

RSS-1.JPG

RRS.pdf