20_kN

Bootie Types/ Vented Booties?

I have around 90 jumps and I have been getting more into RW. As of now I am using a freefly suit because I am a bit small and so I need something with minimal drag to keep me going fast. However, of course a freefly suit doesent have booties and so after discussing the matter with several other jumpers it seems like I am missing out quite a bit by not using a suit with booties.

Anyway, I decided to get an actual RW suit that's (hopefully) tight fitting so it doesent slow me too much but also has booties so I can take advantage of that aspect of the suit.

My question is how important is it to have vented booties? I see there are several different types of booties ranging from standard non-vented to full leg competition booties to vented booties and other assortments. One of my friends swears by having vented booties, but the suit I am looking at the moment just has standard booties. How much of a difference does it make by adding vents? If I buy a suit with vented booties it's going to cost an extra $100 and take three weeks longer to make compared to to a suit with standard booties. Is it really worth that just for vented booties?

Damn.
I read Boobie Types...
That's disappointing!

I'm a free fly guy by nature, I only very occasionally do RW.
I have a suit with airlocked booties (got it cheap), but I kinda struggle, I think I would have fared better with regular booties.
My opinion is: unless you to a TON of RW and have the skills to fly them, vented (airlocked) booties will do more harm than good.
Once you master them, they can be awesome (from what I've heard).
As a beginner, I'd stick to regular, and a lot of pros fly them as well, so they can't be that underpowered.

EnricoPalazzo

Damn.
I read Boobie Types...
That's disappointing!

I'm a free fly guy by nature, I only very occasionally do RW.
I have a suit with airlocked booties (got it cheap), but I kinda struggle, I think I would have fared better with regular booties.
My opinion is: unless you to a TON of RW and have the skills to fly them, vented (airlocked) booties will do more harm than good.
Once you master them, they can be awesome (from what I've heard).
As a beginner, I'd stick to regular, and a lot of pros fly them as well, so they can't be that underpowered.

+1

With great power comes great responsibility!

Regular booties will be totally fine.
blank

Vented booties won't make you fall faster; they're actually used more to grab air and slow larger people down!
Aside from that, getting a tight-fitting competition-style RW suit will do a lot more to help you fall faster. You'll want spandex on the forearms and slick nylon on the front; you'll also want to pay the extra to get inside grippers on the legs (as well as outside). You do NOT need double grippers on the arms (one gripper per arm is just fine). Finally, getting fatter grippers, particularly the cordura ones, is the way to go. They are easier to hold on to which matters for both block spins and exits.

My first RW suit had medium booties with a pair of pleats (Bev Magick-style) which kept them inflated no matter what I did with my feet. It was great for basic RW jumps, bigway, and learning 4-way without having to think as much about leg technique - but slowed me down in the end, when I went to a mega bootie on my second suit for competition (which didn't have the pleats). I had to learn how to fly all over again. If you REALLY want to get into 4-way (which is tons of fun) or other competition RW, it is my recommendation to a) just get the larger unpleated booties to begin with and b) find a coach and do some 1:1 tunnel time as soon as you get the suit to learn from the get-go how to efficiently use the booties. It'll save you the headache (and the $) of having to break bad habits later.

Gimmicks are stupid. Avoid them at all costs. Clean air flow is what you want. So clean fabric surfaces are optimal.

IMO - anything other than standard (but full sized) booties are a DETRIMENT to performance. So an extra $100 and 3 week delay for something that's worse? silly

regular booties are absolutely more than fine (especially if you are small)

you will be amazed at how much power you gained (once you learn to fly them correctly) - you should be super happy

Edit: RockSkyGirl's comments are perfect and I won't repeat them as she did a better job

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Vented booties will slow you down.

Do I think they help? Not really.
Do I think they hurt? Not really.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334