20_kN

Jumpsuits. Do they make you go faster or slower?

So I am a bit light and so I've had trouble keeping up with some people. I wear a fairly tight fitting ZP jumpsuit on my jumps. To my surprise someone told me that if I take the jumpsuit off I'll go faster. That doesent make sense to me so I dont see how a loose t-shirt and shorts flapping around everywhere is going to make me go faster than a tight-fitting ZP fabric suit. So that's the story on suits? I thought their entire point was to go faster, not slower (unless you get a really baggy one of course).

For your situation, you are right. Smooth surface beats flapping skin and normal fabrics for going faster (99.99999% of the time). It probably still applies, even if you have booties and bigger grippers - no booties and smaller grippers would speed you up even more.

But I think booties are a MUST. get a weight belt, take some mantis training with fall rate drills. You'll be fine.

In general, you can get a suit fit and fabric combination to speed up, slow down, etc to some extent.

For that matter, even if you want to slow down, I'm not a fan of bagginess except as a last resort. Skin drag (material type) is better. Bigger control surfaces and things that DON'T FLAP can slow a person down without sacrificing fine control in freefall. Fast or slow, you want a suit that you can fly, not a suit that flies you.

Suits are more than just fall rate control. The right cut adds stability, good designs provide more predictible air control surfaces, sturdy material protects your skin, etc etc etc

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

To piggyback onto this question, do suits just make you fly better in general (aerodynamically speaking, obviously. Meaning more powerful responses to your body inputs vs relative wind)? Every time I wear a suit I have had better belly jumps, but I don't know if this is just coincidence or not.

>do suits just make you fly better in general (aerodynamically speaking, obviously.
>Meaning more powerful responses to your body inputs vs relative wind)?

They make response to inputs more predictable. Booties give you more turning power. (And of course they can adjust your fall rate.)

(edited)
On 1/31/2018 at 1:38 PM, 20_kN said:

So I am a bit light and so I've had trouble keeping up with some people. I wear a fairly tight fitting ZP jumpsuit on my jumps. To my surprise someone told me that if I take the jumpsuit off I'll go faster happy wheels. That doesent make sense to me so I dont see how a loose t-shirt and shorts flapping around everywhere is going to make me go faster than a tight-fitting ZP fabric suit. So that's the story on suits? I thought their entire point was to go faster, not slower (unless you get a really baggy one of course).

Go faster!

Edited by tail