Spiffycop

Comp Velo v Valkyrie

Harness sensitivity and openings, little better slow flight capabilities but really not that much
I haven‘t flown either VCs or Valks loaded that low, though.

The biggest difference between them for me is that the Valk handles higher loadings better than the VC and of course the openings.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Pobrause

little better slow flight capabilities but really not that much

Agree on everything else said, but I personally find the "slow-flight modes" on the VK about the only thing I don't like. It just feels very twitchy to the point of being "uncomfortable", so to speak. It's the only small complain I'd have with the VK (and I'm sure it's really just the nature of the beast, you can't really have a canopy that rolls so well and easily but doesn't get twitchy if flown in brakes).
Funnily enough, it's really only an issue if I have to land straight in for whatever reason, the wing feels rock solid on anything including even just 90s and above.

But it could also be that I downsized concurrently to me moving to TX, so there was an unnoticed shift in wingloading, we'll call it that, more than I thought, I was thinking I was around 2.3/2.4 then one day I weighted in manifest and I was like "uuuuuh great, 2.7, pushing 2.8, that explains it".

Love the flying, but should probably hit the gym more regularly, regardless, and stick to weightbelts. :D:S
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

danielcroft

Openings and roll rate.

The openings on the VK are worlds improved over the VC. The roll rate of the wing is a definite step or two above. Everything else is just straight better.

I went from a VC84 to a VK79. If you have more specific questions, happy to answer if I can.

This, except I thought the VK only opened slightly better compared to the VC

I went from VC79 to a VK71.
The 71 was loaded at 2.8 (3.0 if I had to wear weight with the big boy tandems) so that may have something to do with my experience with the openings.
71 VK definitely had more shut down power than the VC79.

Titanman2789

This, except I thought the VK only opened slightly better compared to the VC

I went from VC79 to a VK71.
The 71 was loaded at 2.8 (3.0 if I had to wear weight with the big boy tandems) so that may have something to do with my experience with the openings.
71 VK definitely had more shut down power than the VC79.

I've had a toggle fire on my VK79 (no longer mine) and no line twists. I was in line twists for 20 seconds on my VC84 in level flight. Kinda depends on how you handle things and experience is a pretty good deciding factor. :-)

Mostly I just find the VK openings to be more staged and, with the control lines being so far outboard on the wing, there's little control authority mid opening. The staging (it's pretty cool to watch - hello slow mo!) helps the opening be more controlled IMO although, I'm not a wing designer so, maybe it's just my feelings?

Is it bad idea to went from [email protected] to [email protected]?

I don't know how you fly but, assuming you're not a silly human, you're probably fine. Just remember that you have to know what you're doing with a wing as responsive as a VK (Hybrid Leia, HKT, etc.) when you're close to the ground. It's my opinion that someone who can jump a VC/VE regularly for a few hundred jumps is fine on a VK as long as, again, they're not a silly human. Respect the wing, get coaching? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

danielcroft

I don't know how you fly but, assuming you're not a silly human, you're probably fine. Just remember that you have to know what you're doing with a wing as responsive as a VK (Hybrid Leia, HKT, etc.) when you're close to the ground. It's my opinion that someone who can jump a VC/VE regularly for a few hundred jumps is fine on a VK as long as, again, they're not a silly human. Respect the wing, get coaching? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I switched to AirWolf-84 one month ago. I lost some weight and my WL is 2.6 now. First three jumps was scary :) my hands was shaking and heard was ttrying to jump out of my throat :) Now I have 27 jumps with AW nd I love it. I love it much more than I loved CompVelo - because of openings, response, power, turn control, rears, speed, flight distance....

You can find some of my flights here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmLf7EfAoxY/?taken-by=the.good.the.bad.the.ugly

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoJj31CALC9/?taken-by=the.good.the.bad.the.ugly

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLWALsQjlFX/?taken-by=the.good.the.bad.the.ugly

If you (as experienced pilot) can give me some feedback in PM - I'll be grateful.

On 8/30/2018 at 8:29 AM, jan-huje said:

They fly about same.....but Vk has much more energy..!!
That means it surfs much better.Also you will not win with
VC but with Vk ...the Vk can handle higher WL and that might
give you more go if you load it...

I disagree.The VC flies much steeper as it doesn't glide as much at higher wing loadings. The VC is better for accuracy in a competition environment while the VK lacks true power- it just floats further with less power as it has the shape of a paragliding speed wing. The VC is better for water contact, as any unintended input on a VK will lift you off the water. After 9+ years of competition, using both a VK and a VC for accuracy, I believe that the VC is a superior wing for competition. That being said, they are both good wings, you just need to know that they are tools to be used. Pick the right tool for the job you want it to do.

On 9/5/2018 at 9:55 PM, danielcroft said:

Openings and roll rate.

The openings on the VK are worlds improved over the VC. The roll rate of the wing is a definite step or two above. Everything else is just straight better.

I went from a VC84 to a VK79. If you have more specific questions, happy to answer if I can.

I agree that the openings are better if you're coming from freefall, but hop-n-pop openings are much the same, and the roll rate is ok... But the VC is a superior wing for swoop, especially accuracy. I've flown the VK and it's great, but I will be going back to my VC as soon as possible for accuracy. It's much harder to deal with water contact and is almost impossible to shut down on a dime with the VK. It has too much glide. I believe it's a great distance tool for those who don't have access to a Peregrine.