DylanH

Petra vs. Sofia

Looking for opinions on the Petra vs the Sofia from those who have flown them. Differences, similarities etc. I have already talked a bit with NZ about both wings but I am curious what others have to say about how they fly at different WL's in the XRW environment. Trying to decide on which one to get.

Yeah, easier for big guys to do that. I'm roughly 180lbs out the door, so even on the smallest canopy sizes I have to put on a fair amount of lead to load up. I have no jumps on Petra's but on one of my first jumps on a Sofia loaded at under 2.8 I was able to fly with someone in a Freak. So the steepness can be a benefit to avoid having to haul serious lead. But that's why I am posting. Interested to hear from those with Petra's.

I was told that 60 is the cut off point. The sub 60's are for special people only I guess:P. Just did a few jumps yesterday on a Sofia 64 with just under 40lbs of lead on getting me to 3.4WL. The freaks were quite happy with that. My body at the end of the day, not so much.

DylanH

I was told that 60 is the cut off point. The sub 60's are for special people only I guess:P. Just did a few jumps yesterday on a Sofia 64 with just under 40lbs of lead on getting me to 3.4WL. The freaks were quite happy with that. My body at the end of the day, not so much.

If the main problem is your low body weight, I don't think any of those canopies will solve it and be a magic solution. After all there are very similar, so there won't be a night-and-day difference, whichever you choose.

As a wingsuiter, I would personally prefer more forward speed (i.e. Petra), as you can fly with your wingsuit open, which gives you more power and range.
If you need to sink - it's more difficult to slow down if needed.

Suggest you post this on the Petra page not here, you would get way more info there than here.

Re-reading that, do you not have either wing?
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

Petra page? Is that a post or a specific page I am not aware of? I don't own either wing. In the process of deciding which to order. I have only flown Sofia, but I will have a slightly larger Petra to try out from a friend soon. Have been talking with a few knowledgeable people on the subject since I posted this and got some solid feedback. I saw on your profile you fly a Petra, do you do XRW with it? If so, what loading do you generally run and do you run any modifications on the Petra (lineset, trim etc.)? I really am interested in hearing from everyone.

I currently have a Petra (77.7, 3.25:1) and a Sofia (72.7, 3.5:1). The Sofia is pretty much specifically for XRW, and at that w/l, is pretty well in the groove. Would probably need to weight up to use the Petra, but the Sofia works so well I haven't bothered yet.

Also have a 59 Sofia (intent is for XRW with smaller suits) and an 86 (experimental - not sure what it will be best for yet) on the way.

I have a couple Leias; 84 - too big and flat for XRW), and a 66.6 - haven't tried it yet, but would imagine it will work well. I'll report back on this thread when I give it a go.

Petra Page is a closed facebook group, many good pilots on there.
Get the Petra, better all rounder than the Sofia and it is easier to fly with multiple canopy / wingsuit formations

Yes, I have done several hundred XRW on the Petra. You don't need any mods

The question is mostly about size and loading (and more importantly what you can safely use).

I run my 67 (from 3 to 3.5) depending on group
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

I got added to the Petra page, definitely lots of good info on there. Had the chance to put a few jumps on a Petra 69. Jumped it loaded at 2.6 and 3.0. It felt steeper than Sofia 64 right away even at the lighter loading. That leaves me wondering what exactly the Sofia has as an advantage over Petra. The Sofia that my friend got was from Cornelia and must be on the line set with the flatter of the 2 trim options. I wonder if the steeper trim would set it apart. Looks like I will be getting a Petra. Would still like to hear from anyone else who happens to come across this post with experience on either or both of these wings.

just a thought, you may like a petra with some weight but then still wearing a little more on your legs to make it steeper flying.
and just for ref I'm usually about 225 exit weight and my petra 68 is super easy where me and guys in freak 2's generally both have lots of range
If you find yourself arguing with a good idea, you may want to stop arguing.