Koolihan

I can't flare right!

First, hello all! A short intro. I transitioned from military to sport so most of my jumps are on an RA-1 (360). I can land the shit out of them and have never not stood one up.

I did my transition on a 190 and it was awesome. I flared a tiny bit high but felt if I had jumped again that day, I would have nailed it. I went back home and they have me jumping a 210. The only time I've been able to stand that up is in medium-ish winds and it was only because of the winds.

I understand there are severe limitations on the help and advice I can get without a video, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I understand the physics of a flare and what you're trying to do as you flare. I've been taught the two stage flare and know it well (on the RA-1).

I believe what's screwing me up is the huge speed difference between the 210 and the RA-1. I'm planning on going to the canopy course in Eloy in June and of course continuing to practice but, like I said, figured I'd reach out.

Thanks everyone!! Blue skies

I had the same problem. I stopped skydiving for 2 years after getting into BASE. I jump an OSP 285 (301 PIA), and when I decided to get current again with skydiving, I rented a 210. Most of my skydives were with PD 190's. It was a BIG speed difference, and the first couple of jumps ended with hard PLFs. Others noticed that I was not flaring all the way, and almost had my hands out in front of me in an effort to catch my fall on the ground.
Get someone to video your landings and see whats up. I decided to jump 260's until I became comfortable with them again; basically, starting my skydiving progression from scratch. Maybe you could see what bigger canopies your DZ has.

Koolihan

First, hello all! A short intro. I transitioned from military to sport so most of my jumps are on an RA-1 (360). I can land the shit out of them and have never not stood one up.

I did my transition on a 190 and it was awesome. I flared a tiny bit high but felt if I had jumped again that day, I would have nailed it. I went back home and they have me jumping a 210. The only time I've been able to stand that up is in medium-ish winds and it was only because of the winds.

I understand there are severe limitations on the help and advice I can get without a video, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I understand the physics of a flare and what you're trying to do as you flare. I've been taught the two stage flare and know it well (on the RA-1).

I believe what's screwing me up is the huge speed difference between the 210 and the RA-1. I'm planning on going to the canopy course in Eloy in June and of course continuing to practice but, like I said, figured I'd reach out.

Don't wait till june to fix it. Screwing up landings causes stress for the next landing, and this can easily lead to a downward spiral of worsening landings.
I've seen it happen to others, I've had it happen to me too. I've seen people quit the sport because of it.
What helped is talking to some good (local) canopy pilots, asking them to watch my landings and discussing the problems I had. I learned a new (to me) trick that fixed it in no-time.

Practice flares in the air. You will do this in the B canopy course as you find your stall point. This helped me out a lot since I found I could take the flare a lot further than I was. Just don't try this near or below your decision altitude.

You can also just have people you jump with film your landing. This helped me to find I was riding the brakes in a bit which slowed me down. Going to full flight on final helped me a lot too because you need the speed to convert to lift.

Don't get frustrated though. You are newly licensed and on a new canopy. There are plenty of experienced people who have hundreds of jumps on the same canopy and still bite it. The flare will come with practice and some film critiques.

Koolihan

If you practice your flares at altitude, above 1k, are you able to stall the canopy? If not you might try wrapping the brake lines around your hands a few times to shorten them. But practice your flares at altitude and see what happens.

I saw that you are in Skydive Panama City. Maxine Tate is doing a Flight-1 101 and 102 on the weekend of may 19 at skydive deland.
I don't know who you are working with in Arizona. I don't see a Flight-1 canopy course scheduled in AZ for june and I would very strongly advice you to take a Flight-1 canopy course and not any other company / instructor. If you don't believe me ask around if anybody knows of a better option than Flight-1.

I highly recommend you do the course at Deland. It's local, you don't have to wait till June, potentially something bad could happen in the very next jump if this is your current situation.

Your problem is sight picture, you don't have enough video debrief's to know what's too high or too low and you are flaring high to err on the side of caution. Also 1 day courses are not enough. The Flight-1 courses are 2 days.

PS--> I am not an employee / sponsored by flight-1. I am speaking in your best interest.

Just a point of clarification, the stock Flight-1 courses are each one day in length. It's not uncommon to take the 101 course on a Saturday and the 102 course on a Sunday, but they are separate courses and are each one day long.

I took 101 and 102 in Deland with J-Mo and I highly recommend both of the courses. I also did a couple makeup jumps (we could not complete all of the 102 jumps due to weather) with Bobo. Also an excellent instructor.

As for alternatives, I can second hodge's suggestion, although I would personally rate them as the top choice. I have had multiple days of instruction (both "stock" courses and custom instruction) with Curt and Jeannie from the Alter Ego Project. They are both fantastic canopy pilots and coaches and their instruction is second to none. Like I said, multiple days with them and I will be flying multiple more with them this summer.