1 1
sswain

Dekunu One

The great thing about using the flysight for swooping is that it's compatible with gSwoop. As far as I'm aware the Dekunu has comparable GPS capability to the flysight however uses it's own (more user friendly and basic) software to analyse the turn.

If gSwoop was able to be used with the Dekunu data in the future that'd be great!

I reached out to Dekunu for some clarification on the GPS vs Flysight and GUI for data display.... This is what I got back:

/Snip

The integrated GPS feature allows the device, depending on the time of day, local obstructions, interference and location in the world, to connect to anywhere from 5 to 15 satellites. The One does have an open API so integrations with other programs, such as gSwoop etc. will be possible in the future.
/Snip

With the API available, hopefully some dev-ops folks will start playing!!!

Maybe it's as great as it claims to be, but I sure won't be dropping 450 USD on a "smart" device fresh to the market without hearing what gripes people have with it first. The "smarter" the device is, the greater the potential for overpromising, underdelivering, bugs, weird crashes, confusing UI, lack of updates and questionable "cloud" integrations you can't get out of. Not buying anything that I haven't seen at least one critical review of; anything before that is just hype. Like the ION, which looked good from initial reviews, but is the worst altimeter I've ever owned, seen, or used. What made it to the market is an early beta version at best, and the promised updates never materialised, with the company folding not long after.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

I have a Dekunu and I managed to get the data into gSwoop, so yeah it's possible. It is however a pain in the ass because the output files have a different structure to the required input files and I had to wrangle the data.

No reason why a developer couldn't make it nice and seamless.

As for the device, for sure it's got bugs at the moment but the Dekunu team see pretty awesome and they're on it. Bit of a gamble I know but I'm kinda stoked to be involved with something new & interesting.

I'm a Dekunu "ambassador" meaning I'm sponsored by them. In addition, I'm actively involved in the project.

On gSwoop support, that's something I asked for a while ago and, we agree it's something we want to add. As EvilGenius mentioned it's not available right now and, not high up the list with the priorities of launching an altimeter.

Currently, you can export your jump data a couple of different ways and then use some utility to convert to the format you're looking for. Luckily for us, gSwoop have their format documented and there are freely available tools to do that conversion. This process is a pain in the dick at the moment, though.

For most people, the views provided by the portal will be sufficient. For people more interested in their swooping, the conversion process is required as of now.

Happy to answer questions people have.