skydave238

Audible for swoop setup

Hi guys,

Looking at getting a new audible and curious what others are using. Im currently using an old neptune 2. Works just fine but the screen is damaged so i can't change any of the altitudes anymore. Which kinda sucks.

A quick look on paragear and there are so many different audibles out there. Which ones are geared towards swooping.

Thanx all,

Dave
Ready...Set...Go..!

SkydiveSwakop

I think if you say "geared toward swooping" the answer is the Optima 2, since it has the "swoop guide" - a serie of pulsating tones leading to your last alarm in the pattern, to help you with the timing.
I never used it (I have an N3 that I use to set up my swoops), but a few of my swooper friends swear by it.
For what is worth, sometimes I feel like I would have benefited from this extra help, especially when setting up on unfamiliar landing areas or with thermaly situations.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

From what I can see, this is a chunky, Android-powered device.
Of course, a real review has to wait until they actually release the device, but I'm not overly enthusiastic about trusting my life to a newly developed device sporting a notoriously unstable, complex operating system.
If anyone knows more, please correct me.

Apart from that, I use my old and trusty Neptune 2 for swooping as well, but an Optima/Quattro/ProTrack should do the job just fine also.

i guess if i ever get one i will have to jump with 3 altimetrs - one audible for swooping, plus that android thing to look cool, plus 15 year old altimetr i got for my first solo jump to use in a freefall - that thing does not even need batteries

danielcroft

***Protrack II and Quattro also have canopy tones and swoop guide...

I use Optima 2 and Protrack 2. The Quattro has canopy alarms but not the decreasing interval leadup to the final beep that the other two do.
Yeah, I figured that was the main difference between OPT2 and Quattro, otherwise there would be no reason to offer both of them at the same price, whereas the Protrack2 is basically an OPT2 with logging features (and for ~$50 more compared to the other two). Although, according to L&B website, the "swoop guide" is only mentioned for their Optima 2:

https://www.lbwebstore.com/consumer/optima-ii.html

https://www.lbwebstore.com/consumer/protrack-ii.html
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

I recently went to a AO(N2) brilliant pebbles
http://www.aon2.co.uk/brilliant_pebbles
They do not have the lead up alarms that other swoop audibles offer but they do have 20 customizable alarms that you can easily program with your smart phone. They beep at every altitude you set whether on the way up or down and you can set tone, tone speed, and duration. rechargeable battery as well. You do have to turn on the device before use. I bought the thing to try something new and I am really glad i did.