baronn

60" drogue

I'm putting together a rig for takin the big guys up. I don't believe I've used this drogue before. Anyone have experience with it? Specifically how are the openings? Any noticeable difference in stowing it in the spndex pouch? Any other info is welcome
Thanks

freefall can be weird, they like to "buck" per say. but openings are fine. more fabric in the pouch, they like to try to "hang" out more, just gotta be a little more careful and mindful in airplane and pre-exit drogue checks.

Not really a big deal, just make sure you get a positive drogue set as the drogue is bigger and the BOC pocket is not. Aside from that the Tandem Instructor probably won't notice much difference.

If your DZ has outside vidiots, they'll notice the difference; especially if a lighter passenger winds up under that drogue. Fat vidiots will hate it, unless they have wings.

Cheers,

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

It makes a noticeable difference in freefall. Openings are good, a little more drag but still better than the higher airspeed openings of a 250lb passenger on a 54inch. Great for what you are suggesting. As someone else mentioned they do try to sneak out of the BOC due to their extra bulk.

I have jumped 60" drogues for years on both my micro's.
1) slower freefall
2) slower openings (dont be tooo quick on that cutaway handle)
3) Simon Wade makes some that will last fooooooreeeeeeeeveeeeeer
4) Less wear and tear on your Main canopy
5) Once you figure out the folding it fits in the pouch just fine.
6) You will need to replace your BOC pouch sooner but not much if it is packed nice and tightly and not stretched out.
7) Chubby Videots will need wings to stay with you
8) Maintain them and they will treat you very well.

I have 3000+tandems on Simon's 60" drogues and 500 on UPT 60" drogues. The UPT oscillated like crazy and would spin up but not Simons..
Call Simon Wade 702-277-5273
you wont regret it.. I love them...

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

Finally got all the parts together to put this rig into service. With a 400 in a Sigma container, real estate is definitely at a premium. Drogue toss was uneventful but, this thing bucks around like crazy. Pretty annoying. I called UPT asking to exchange it for a 54 and was completely shut down. Was told they can't take back a "used" drogue. Yeah, it has a whole 1 jump on it. Landed on grass and you couldn't tell it's been jumped. Charge an exchange fee if needed but, I didn't even get that. Just a really rude response and a lengthy 'splainin why they can't/wouldn't do it. Pretty shitty service after paying full retail for my 5th rig I got from them.

Didn't ask for the demo. Never occurred to me. This was delivered with a new container I bought. Yep, I was warned about the "oscillations". I've experienced that before on repaired drogues. This was more like a bucking and felt different. Tom Noonan did reach out today. After more 'splainin", he did offer to exchange it. Thank You. I'll probably do that. Haven't decided just yet

On 10/31/2018 at 11:13 AM, baronn said:

Finally got all the parts together to put this rig into service. With a 400 in a Sigma container, real estate is definitely at a premium. Drogue toss was uneventful but, this thing bucks around like crazy. Pretty annoying. I called UPT asking to exchange it for a 54 and was completely shut down. Was told they can't take back a "used" drogue. Yeah, it has a whole 1 jump on it. Landed on grass and you couldn't tell it's been jumped. Charge an exchange fee if needed but, I didn't even get that. Just a really rude response and a lengthy 'splainin why they can't/wouldn't do it. Pretty shitty service after paying full retail for my 5th rig I got from them.

It bucks because it's out of round. They should take it back. 60 inch drogues dont fall any differently than 54 . They are a bit slower and softer openings.. call Simon Wade to get a good drogue.. 

On 7/5/2019 at 7:04 PM, douwanto said:

It bucks because it's out of round. They should take it back. 60 inch drogues dont fall any differently than 54 . They are a bit slower and softer openings.. call Simon Wade to get a good drogue.. 

On 7/8/2019 at 7:46 PM, baronn said:

Wish I had....

60inch is fine.