skydivex3m

Reserve pack intervals

skydivex3m

Awesome! Both Croatia, Switzerland and Germany! For tandems right?

switzerland for all rigs, the only that I recall having a shorter limit is Parachutes Australia, for emergency parachutes, 8 or 9 months.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

In Canada, the USA and most European Union countries, the repack cycle - for ALL skydiving reserves - is 180 days. In colder countries, this becomes once a year.
This usually becomes a mad rush the week before the skydiving season opens, which explains the 6 reserves in my apartment, all due for repack.

Not a surprise if a particular country perceives tandem jumps strictly as a commercial operation, thus mandating more inspections via shorther repack cycles.
The FAA requires an annual like inspection every 100 hours if an aircraft is operated for hire, versus a single annual inspection if it's not.
In my opinion, an annual repack is plenty.

No Drogue, no JUMP!!

Rover

I would be surprised if the interval between a tandem rig and a sports rig would be different in any country.

——————————————————————————————

Makes sense to me considering that tandems are on - almost - every load, so they experience far more more and year than sport rigs.
Strong insists on an external inspection every 25 jumps. The 25 jump inspection includes stretching out the main, inspecting main lines, etc.
I have done hundreds of external inspections and found many small tears, popped stitches, etc. when they were still small enough for quick re-sew. Most of the wear was on the main container and D-bag.
When I eventually got to the (180 day) inspection and repackaged, I never found a damaged reserve canopy and harness wear was minimal.

Australia 12 months (dont necessarily agree with it for OZ)

Not for tandems - Australia is 12 months for Certificate Class B holders and above only.

Students, Novices (Certificate Class A), Tandems and pilot rigs are 6 month repack cycles.

Malev

Not for tandems - Australia is 12 months for Certificate Class B holders and above only.

Students, Novices (Certificate Class A), Tandems and pilot rigs are 6 month repack cycles.

well - as we are getting particular here....:P

Its ‘up to’ 6 or 12 Months depending on your Certificate etc as stated.

I find this an important point as it is at the discretion of the packer / rigger to choose.

for example, if they have a client who is jumping onto the beach daily in a tropical sun then perhaps a shorter repack cycle is a sensible decision

(b) Student, Novice, Tandem reserve and Pilot emergency parachute equipment as well as tandem passenger harness, may be certified as airworthy for a period of up to six months by the holder of at least a Packer A signing the parachute packing record as required by OR 12.5.1.

(c) Certificate Class B holders and above reserve parachute equipment, may be certified as airworthy for a period of up to 12 months by the holder of at least a Packer A signing the parachute packing record as required by OR 12.5.1. In this case, the use of a checklist (APF Form P3 or Certifier’s modified version) is recommended.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Malev

That's weird. Why? Do reserves on rigs jumped by novices and tandems open with more error than those jumped by experienced jumpers? The reserve pack interval should have nothing to do with who's jumping it. That's entirely an equipment factor and not a factor of skill or currency.

Westerly

That's weird. Why? Do reserves on rigs jumped by novices and tandems open with more error than those jumped by experienced jumpers?

I don't think it is about reserves opening or not. It must be partially about standards for inspections for damage, dirt, and wear. Surely they must be thinking about higher "commercial & students" standards vs. those for "private use by those experienced in the sport".

Poland follows manufacturer's recommendations, or 120 days for reserves if no specific requirement was set by the manufacturer. There doesn't seem to be a clear upper limit, so technically, if the manufacturer says so, it could be arbitrarily long.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Westerly

That's weird. Why? Do reserves on rigs jumped by novices and tandems open with more error than those jumped by experienced jumpers? The reserve pack interval should have nothing to do with who's jumping it. That's entirely an equipment factor and not a factor of skill or currency.

——————————————————————————-

Student and tandem gear suffer far more wear and tear than privately-owned parachutes.
Students pack sloppily, snag gear inside the airplane, bang it on the doorframe, deploy at “novel attitudes,” drag parachutes through the weeds, leave it laying in the sun, etc.

Tandems get jumped every day. Strong insists on an inspection after every 25 jumps. It includes a detailed inspection of the drogue, bridle, D-bag, main canopy ....... and an external inspection of the harness/container.

koppel

well - as we are getting particular here....:P

Its ‘up to’ 6 or 12 Months depending on your Certificate etc as stated.

I find this an important point as it is at the discretion of the packer / rigger to choose.

for example, if they have a client who is jumping onto the beach daily in a tropical sun then perhaps a shorter repack cycle is a sensible decision

(b) Student, Novice, Tandem reserve and Pilot emergency parachute equipment as well as tandem passenger harness, may be certified as airworthy for a period of up to six months by the holder of at least a Packer A signing the parachute packing record as required by OR 12.5.1.

(c) Certificate Class B holders and above reserve parachute equipment, may be certified as airworthy for a period of up to 12 months by the holder of at least a Packer A signing the parachute packing record as required by OR 12.5.1. In this case, the use of a checklist (APF Form P3 or Certifier’s modified version) is recommended.

What happens if I loan an A licensed jumper my rig that I packed 7 months ago?