baronn

Used tandem gear

Inquired about buying some gear listed here. older but, appeared to be in decent shape. Not cheap but, not outrageous either. Find out the 1990 reserve has a claimed 27 pack jobs and 7 rides on them. Anybody find this math kinda fuzzy?

Might be sketchy. Might not.

The data panel on a 1990 VTC-II says the manufacturer is UPT (even though we all know it was really made by PD). They came without a bowling-score data panel, so knowing the number of packs and jumps depends on having accurate entries on the packing data cards and having all the cards. Since there's no requirement to retain old data cards, canopy history is frequently incomplete.

Solution 1: don't worry about it. If a main canopy had just 7 jumps on it, we would call it new.

Solution 2: send it to PD for evaluation. They'll add a new data panel, including boxes to score spares and strikes. In fact, this one may have already been back to PD and had a new data panel sewn on, in which case you'd like to know how many open boxes are left, not how many have been filled -- PD doesn't always recertify for a full 40 packs/25 jumps.

-Mark

Aware of that. Agree on all the points. If this rig had been in service it's entire life (safe to assume), then at a 120 (until Dec 19th 2008) or even 180 pack interval, wude put the number of repacks at least 56. Data cards can be fudged, so 1 of 2 things: Pencil packed or data card is not accurate. I never saw the data card. main had 1500 (or so he said) jumps. Rig needed re-harness IMO, main was trash and once all this was addressed, I just decided it wasn't for me.

It kinda depends.

Keep in mind that some DZs (especially "up north") only operate part of the year.

For a DZ that opens on Memorial Day and closes on Labor day, one repack would get through that season, even under the old 120 day rule.

Since the 180 day rule went into effect, I've had only one repack per season most years on my own rig.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Sure about that? At 120 days, opening on April 15 (repack that day), the repack date is approximately Aug 15th. I lived in mich. Mid Nov was usually the end of the season. Jumped past repack date or PP. Even in those upper regions the season is longer than approximately 4 months. Stretch that to the 180 and most are longer than 6 months. No, somethin ain't addin up here......

Sure about it?

No.
And I agree that most places, even "up north' run for longer than 120 days, so a single repack back then wouldn't (legally) last the season.

But it's something that can possibly account for the low number of repacks.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo