MrHey

Any advice regarding getting current?

So,

I've got almost 4k tandems and more than double that in jumps overall. But I haven't jumped for over 18 months now. Or done any kind of flying ( base or speedflying).

I haven't even packed a parachute in that time.

Anyone out there been in the same position as me and tried get back into tandems again?

Any advice on how best to get current and approach re-entering the industry? Any things i should keep in mind?

Also how did you find it coming back after a long break?

Flame away!

MrHey

So,

I've got almost 4k tandems and more than double that in jumps overall. But I haven't jumped for over 18 months now. Or done any kind of flying ( base or speedflying).

I haven't even packed a parachute in that time.

Anyone out there been in the same position as me and tried get back into tandems again?

Any advice on how best to get current and approach re-entering the industry? Any things i should keep in mind?

Also how did you find it coming back after a long break?

Flame away!

Personally I'd do a quick, solo short delay from 5 to 6 K just to get the butterflies out then get serious.

I came back after a 13-year break with 1100 jumps. I started back slowly, so it probably took 100 jumps for me to be really current again. Also, gear and jumpsuits had changed far more radically.

After 5-10 jumps it really didn't feel that new any more. It would have taken longer to feel comfortable with my AFF rating (which I never did get back; I was jumping at a large commercial DZ with full-time AFF instructors -- it just wasn't worth it). But it was longer than you.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Bryguy1224

I find the best way to get current is to jump again. Don't tell anyone you're un-current, do a tandem....when you land, you're current.

Please do NOT follow the above advise!!

if i read correctly you have not done any jumping at all in 18 months? and want to go back to doing Tandem's? it is very easy to get current.
first of all make sure you have a current medical!!
I would do a couple solo Jumps just to get the feet into the breeze.
make contact with you local Tandem Examiner and tell him your intentions. he should do a Ground Refresher which might take a couple of hours +. there is a lot of new rules that have come in recently and a Tandem examiner will bring you up to speed. Hanging harness + EP review with Examiner.
then you do Solo Jump on the tandem Gear followed by taking an experienced passenger or TDM/Examiner. once that is all done and the examiner is happy he should sign you off and you be left loose on the public again.

Once you have a medical all of the above can be all done within a day. bear in mind that after 24 months you might be required to do a full Tandem Course again.

I am currently a Tandem Examiner

Rodger

irishrigger

***I find the best way to get current is to jump again. Don't tell anyone you're un-current, do a tandem....when you land, you're current.

Please do NOT follow the above advise!!

if i read correctly you have not done any jumping at all in 18 months? and want to go back to doing Tandem's? it is very easy to get current.
first of all make sure you have a current medical!!
I would do a couple solo Jumps just to get the feet into the breeze.
make contact with you local Tandem Examiner and tell him your intentions. he should do a Ground Refresher which might take a couple of hours +. there is a lot of new rules that have come in recently and a Tandem examiner will bring you up to speed. Hanging harness + EP review with Examiner.
then you do Solo Jump on the tandem Gear followed by taking an experienced passenger or TDM/Examiner. once that is all done and the examiner is happy he should sign you off and you be left loose on the public again.

Once you have a medical all of the above can be all done within a day. bear in mind that after 24 months you might be required to do a full Tandem Course again.

I am currently a Tandem Examiner

Rodger

Thanks Roger.

My issue is that my license is NZPIA. But i am now in the UK.

So for me there is no case of going to my local examiner.

My problem or dilemma is - how to best get current in a way that can help get me employment.

DZ's want current jumpers.

One option is to fly to the USA and do a full uspa rating. Not the cheapest by a long shot, but opens a lot of doors as everyone seems to recognize it world wide.

The other is to find a dz in Europe that would allow me to get current on tandems (at my own expense) and do a conversion.

One other problem i have is that my almost 4k tandem jumps were done on Sigma, and my NZPIA rating is Sigma. However the exam that i did for this NZ sigma rating in NZ is not an official UPT rating. The written exam was a direct clone but no money went to UPT so it is not an official UPT rating.
This is an issue is some countries where i have looked at employment opportunities.

My situation seems simple - get medical, get current, look for work, get a season under my belt, problems solved. But its actually rather complicated, at least when deciding my best option regarding moving forward with getting current.

Any more advice or ideas you have are really welcome and appreciated. Or if you know nay dz in Europe or whatever that could help.
Feel free to contact me in PM if you like.

What others have said. Greater than 12 months and less than 24 is a ground refresh, solo jump with a tandem rig and one jump with an examiner. Greater than 24 months is a full TI course again. Unless you know people that will just sign you off... This is all US stuff though, no idea how your New Zealand to UK things will work.

I took 18 months off after 3000 tandems, I did my first tandem back with the examiner and it was like I never left, stood up the landing and all.