SecondRound

Finally a tunnel in MN. Now for the bad news

Minneapolis MN (actually Minnetonka is getting an iFly tunnel. At the moment its just a massive hole in the ground with an iFly sign on the construction fence. My question is whether or not it will be good for practice or not. The info I have seen is that it will be a 12 ft tunnel. My prior experience has been in 14 ft tunnels and Paraclete. I do FS and this size does not look big enough for 4 way. Anyone with experience to share?

Lots of 4way was done in the 12 foot tunnels. A few blocks you can't do in a 12 footer... But there is plenty of training that can be done.

And honestly, if I had 10 hours of tunnel for a team..... Most of it would be two way drills building basic skills. If you can move, stop, turn in place, and pick up grips.... It will translate into you being able to turn a donut into a meker. If you can't move, stop, turn in place, and pick up grips... All the time trying to build a 4way donut to meker will be wasted.

But teams want to do 4way in the tunnel and they waste so much time trying.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Most of it would be two way drills building basic skills.

True dat. Even 1-way drills can be beneficial.

Done a bunch of time in the iFly Orlando tunnel with 4-way and it is absolutely doable. Have done all the randoms and some blocks (6, 9, 22, others). It definitely teaches you discipline. Even more important than the size of the tunnel is the quality of the coach. A good coach makes the experience worthwhile.

A bigger hindrance in Orlando is those tunnels go up and flare about 6 ft up. I have heard they did that to make it safer for the tourists. (We get a lot of tourists in Orlando. :o) Slows the air speed. Don't know. But I would never pass up a training session there just because it is a 12-ft tunnel.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

(edited)

I'm thrilled with this tunnel.  The new generation tunnels are fully round, so this 12 footer is effectively bigger than an 8, 10, 12 sided 12 footer for us.  4 way is fine in there.  We've done decent with the following blocks (new 1, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, new 13 (not fully free, but a good workable practice), 14, 15, 16, 17, 21-ish).  I haven't tried the other yet, but expect to able to find ways to make them work.  The question will be if the workaround helps or hinders practice.

That said, greatly enjoying getter better on back and sit also. (head down within the month likely)

The best is being able to coach this stuff without planning a big trip.

I expect great things from this tool for our local talent.

Edited by rehmwa