BigL

Coached Time vs Normal Time

It depends entirely on my goals.

If I want to work on something particular, I get coaching.

If I just want to go for a burn with some friends, I wont get coaching.

For me personally, tunnel flying is predominantly to improve my flying in the sky so almost all of my time has been coached (75/25).

I'd say 95% coached and 5% own time.

If you're trying to get better, you're crazy to not get coaching all day long. The additional cost is tiny (sometimes even zero) compared to the increased benefit.

Getting in the tunnel to hoon around with mates is fun, but it's really expensive fun and you're not going to learn much.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Interesting, I find that I'm about 50/50. I will try to do some time with a coach and find some stuff to work on, then do a follow up session by myself feeling out what we were working on for myself and reviewing the footage after rotation.

Where I fly, coaching makes the tunnel time 50% more expensive and so I think this works best for me.