wan2doit

Phase 2 - Delayed Reaction...

Phase 2 of Delayed Reaction Tunnel Injury post with different focus -

X-Ray analysis report said my recent tunnel crash has caused condition called Bursitis.

While researching ways to get rid of this intense shoulder pain I ran into a product said to help called "Osmo Patch".

Has anyone had experience with Osmo Patch personally or heard from a friend about it.

https://www.osmopatch.com/

Any help appreciated -

Ain't nobody walking this off - 1st time 4 me so it's all new to me - just curious as to experiences of others.

This has paid off with a pm from a medical professional skydiver with great advise and info.

I never regret posting here on dz considering how many helpful knowledgeable people are here.

All my pain is in the shoulder joint/down deep - started out steady but could be lessened for a little while by perfect positioning of arm and body - then as it got more painful the pain pulsated from a level 5 up to 10 over a few seconds - over and over and over etc. etc.

Been on Nabumetone (some sort of an NSAID/ibuprofen) - 500 mg once a day for last 20 days - took a few days for full effect to happen - have to eat b4 taking these pills - worked to remove most of the pain made life bearable. Got most movement ability back. HaHa took last 500 mg this evening.

When the effects of the pills wear off I'll know where I am actually at on this. Hoping 4 the best but still a bit anxious.

my recent tunnel crash has caused condition called Bursitis

Typically bursitis is considered to be a repetitive motion injury. Therefore, it would be rather unusual to get it from a single "event" (tunnel crash).
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Stephen Hawking

I have no medical knowledge to speak of but if not from my Feb 26 crash possibly a cumulative coincidental effect of nearly 13 hours of tunnel fun with a bad habit of flying with arms extended out wide - can't seem to get the hang of mantis.

No matter the cause I just want to get back in the wind. ;)

I'm scratching my head also as to cause.

I had begun flying 4 way in the tunnel with a league group.

It eventually took 27 lbs of weights on a belt for me to be able to fly properly with them at their wind speed (67.5% which was +7.5 what I normally flew at) they had established as a happy medium for the group. Probably had 30-45 minutes of that a week or two prior to my pain coming on. Thinking that might have multiplied/amplified stress on shoulders somehow.

Oh well - may never know - just want to get back to 100% and get back in.

Gonna chime in late here. I'm a prior EMT and current med student.

The patch thing is complete horse shit. I watched the "how it works" video. Basically put this crystal (literally some type of rock) on your injury and it heats it up. So they are harping on heat therapy and IR therapy (that themselves have very mixed results) but with a mechanism that is complete (healing power of crystals) nonsense. (Don't get me wrong, I'm more liberal than many and all for people trying things like acupuncture if it helps them even though the medical community isn't sure why it sometimes works, but this is like earth-is-flat kinda crazy).

Bursitis is notoriously difficult to treat for some people and usually resolves on its own (so spit on people's joints and tell them it is medicine and eventually your timing will be good and someone will say "holy crap that worked wonders!"). It can be the result of repeat motion (as was mentioned) or the result of acute injury.

Anyway, for some people it flares up once for a few days then goes away forever, for other people it is highly recurrent, can last months per occurrence, and is debilitating.

There is no single treatment that works for everyone. Resting the joint, physical therapy, and heat can be sufficient for many people. For others they get them drained or have surgery. It just boils down to how much does it suck vs. how much does the treatment suck?

Go on WebMD or the like and see the common treatments, try them and see what works for you. If it doesn't go away then talk with an ortho. Also avoid impacting tunnel walls, that will probably help, just sayin.

As for the cause, it could have been the crash, it might not have been. My brother slipped on a sidewalk and fell on his hip (no prior issues), severe bursitis ensued, has been dealing with it for years now, has his routine figured out when it flares up now. He is able to manage it well and avoided draining/surgery, wise move.

wan2doit

I'm scratching my head also as to cause.

I had begun flying 4 way in the tunnel with a league group.

It eventually took 27 lbs of weights on a belt for me to be able to fly properly with them at their wind speed (67.5% which was +7.5 what I normally flew at) they had established as a happy medium for the group. Probably had 30-45 minutes of that a week or two prior to my pain coming on. Thinking that might have multiplied/amplified stress on shoulders somehow.

Oh well - may never know - just want to get back to 100% and get back in.

I would guess that the weight+speed+time of your belly group is the cause rather than your transition. I would pick up a set of therabands on amazon

(like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LX4KRA/ref=sxr_zg_dy_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3525596382&pd_rd_wg=1hMql&pf_rd_r=QQ0KNTYBAYH947D43QZ5&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B000LX4KRA&pd_rd_w=D0Oqb&pf_rd_i=therabands&pd_rd_r=c9a26c39-86a3-4733-822c-3ce74748ef7a&ie=UTF8&qid=1523985731&sr=1&th=1)

and learning all of the rotator cuff excercises to strengthen the shoulder joint. Anyone in our sport would benefit from a little skydive-optimized exercises if you ask me.

I'm leaning towards the flying group with associated increased wind speed and weights (a lot of them) as a cause myself but what's done is done no matter the cause.

Will work with bands (Thanks for the idea jaguaRjaguaR) and did find what look like some good rotator cuff videos of exercises for maintenance and rehab of the joint.

What a complicated mess the rotator cuff joint is.

Advise to All - take good care of the shoulder joint at all times even though that has to be difficult in the tunnel or sky.

Just to let U know jaguaR - Went for 1st physical therapy today - and guess what? - they sent me home with a wide flat rubber band "theraband" to do tension exercises (internal and external arm swings to build up cuff internal muscles for endurance.

Doesn't take too many reps for the burn to start - reminded me of how my shoulders felt after the first 15 min during the 1st half hour of tunnel flying I did at an iFLY Orlando overnight camp.

Brad Hunt wasn't kidding in Orlando when he told me during my 2nd overnight camp that mantis was easier on the shoulders - will share his advise with emphasis whenever I can now - should have worked more on mantis but to eager to do the cool fancy stuff. ;)

When I get back in tunnel it will be all about flying mantis until I can do it properly.

I do believe now that this was caused by flying with arms out too far most of the time over 13 hours in tunnel and adding 27 lbs of weight to fly for 3 - 15 min sessions with the 4 way group at 7.5 % higher than normal speeds for me.