wan2doit

Increasing Fallrate in Tunnel

Challenge: Flightsuit has somewhat baggy arms and legs - Am stable on belly at 60%/91mph/146.5kmh - unstable at 67%/105mph/169kmh. Can maintain constant elevation now but when I try to take grips arm movement causes undesired ascent.

Goal - maintain elevation and be able to bring arms down for grips in 4 way.

I bought arm and calf sleeves assuming they will increase my fallrate in the tunnel so that I can fly with a group of 4 way folks that fly at 7% more power than I do with my standard iFLY student suit.

My plan is to put on my G-Form elbow and knee pads and then install the arm and calf sleeves over them to remove a lot of the flapping of the material. Probably will need some weight also but will adjust that when in the tunnel.

Question 1 - Should I expect notice much of a fallrate increase with Just the sleeves and pads on outside of the suit?

Question 2 - Does this sound like a reasonable plan that can work?

Yes I could get a tight suit but not ready for that expense right now and I like my current suit for other fun stuff when solo in tunnel.

Thaks for All Advise in Advance

I would still recommend a good belly suit designed for 4 way to use in the tunnel and sky. If you can't do that then weight will help the most if your friends can loan you some.

Other than that watch video. Always looking through the formation at your partner will help to keep you level. 4 way is all about efficiency. A simple star you probably keep levels fine. Something more complicated like an adder or unipod might cause you to reach for grips. Reaching for grips means you put an arm out which in turn gives you lift. Let the grip come to you because you should never have to move far unless doing some of the more complicated blocks.

The difference in speed between baggy suit (especially for student suit which often made using rough material) and skinny suit for sure can be more than 5%

If you are planing any close to regular training with 4 way team - there is absolutely no sense to do it in a student suit and even less sense to make such weird modifications)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

as said above, and I learnt the lesson from Eli Thomson back in the days : Dress for Success.

If you want to fly FS, get the most adapted suit you can get.

Baggy is not good anyways. In any discipline . (As far as I know...) . Baggy = Flappy
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Thanks to all for the good well meaning advise. Flew tonight with my weird rig of arm, calf sleeves and 27 lbs/121/4 kilos. Worked good enough and satisfied 4 way group managers concerns about my stability (mine too). Felt good/comfortable tonight in the higher wind speed for 1st time.

Will be investing in a good freestyle type suit soon but this will have to do in the meantime.

Thanks again to all who helped.

Frank