wan2doit

Correct weights in tunnel

I am a 5ft 9 in 138 pound that currently can fly comfortable and descend from up high via boxman arching procedure using 60% of iFLY Ft Lauderdale's power. Any more power and I have problems getting down unless I pull and fold arms in mantis style.

I may begin flying with a relative group that keeps the power at 70% for all the blocks they fly (the happy medium for this group).

My Question #1 is: Can anyone estimate the amount of weight I would need to add to be comfortable/stable at 70% of a modern state of the art iFLY 14 ft dia tunnel ?

Question #2 - Anyone have a belt for sale or have a link to a source?

Thanks Much in Advance'

Frank

Another thing to consider is your jumpsuit. If you have a baggy suit or one with loose material in the arms and legs, you'll have a lot more drag and hence fall slower. Suits with polycotton fronts also fall slower. A tight suit fit to your body, with a slick nylon front, will allow you to fall faster without wearing nearly as much weight. A suit with tight spandex forearms will also decrease the resistance against your arms and make it easier for you to take grips.

That said - I routinely fly at 72-73% with my teammates, with all but the fastest-falling person wearing weight. All of us wear tight, slick competition jumpsuits with booties. I have a weightbelt that allows me to add up to 18 lbs in 2-lb increments; with the people I fly with the most, I wear 6 lbs. If I'm flying with heavier people who want to turn up the wind speed, or when I'm putting in a lot of time over just a couple days (when you get tired it gets harder to maintain optimal body position and wearing weight takes some of the strain off), I'll bring extra lead packets into the holding area with me. If I find I'm struggling to stay down with the group, when we rotate out for our 1.5-minute break I'll add in another lead packet.

One thing you can do after you get your weight belt is to put in 5 minutes with it. Start with 6 or 8 lbs and a comfortable body position and see how it feels as they turn the wind speed up, before you start flying with a group. Finally, if you are interested in learning 4-way, which I highly recommend because it is FUN and it will greatly build your flying skill, you'll want to get comfortable in a solid mantis position. Mantis is the best neutral from which to move to take grips, and you'll fall faster more comfortably in that position as well. ;)

There are a bunch of online outlets for weight belts. Most sell the belts and weights separately. Here are three:
RockSkyMarket has a couple: https://www.rockskymarket.com/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=weight+belt&submit_search=
SquareOne also makes a couple: https://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p515.asp#DeluxeWeightBelt
ParaGear sells the Parasport belt, with weights, for $125.http://www.paragear.com/skydiving/10000145/L11404/PARASPORT-SKYDIVING-WEIGHT-BELT

The belt I have looks similar to the SquareOne deluxe, but with the zipper on the inside instead of the outside, and I can fit 1 or 2-lb weights in the 9 pockets. I don't remember the brand; I'll have to check when I get home. I got lucky and found an old abandoned belt at the local tunnel, with Velcro that didn't stick anymore and a broken buckle, and no weights. The Velcro isn't important so I ignored it. Replaced the broken buckle, and bought a bag of lead shot from a hunting store and made my own 2-lb weights with heavy-duty Ziploc bags. Ended up with an awesome belt for only $60 (the cost of the lead shot).

Thanks to all that offered the good advise here.

With arm and calf sleeves over my baggy suit and 27 lbs(12 1/4 kilos) in a weight belt - flying became stable at 67.5 % wind speed (105 mph.)

Either way 4 way isn't nearly as simple as it looks when done by experienced flyers.

Then again nothing in the tunnel is easy as it looks. :)

12 kg is a LOT. If you find a real fast suit you should be able to spare your body some of the abuse.
I would also consider taking some yoga/stretching lessons (if body flexibility is an issue)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

FallsFast

I wish I had that problem I fall at average 134 mph according to my instructors. I wonder what % of power 134 mph is in a tunnel?

Depends on the tunnel ;-)

At my local 17ft tunnel I fly around 123 mph which is 60%
At another 12ft tunnel they noted my speed at 132mph in the same week with the same gear...