TunnelWrat

Conflict of Interest?

TunnelWrat

i jump in the uk and know some people paying tunnel instructors for private tuition.

is it a conflict of interest for employed tunnel instructors to be offering private paid tuition at tunnels?

1. It's wide common practice AFAIK it can be regulated somewhere (so you pay to manifest, manifest pay some part of it to your coach) but IMO in most WT it's to be deal between customer and coach
2 Conflict of interest means that your personal interest in opposition to the interest of organization you are employed to...
In case of private coaching I see win-win situation, coach money is a good motivation for instructor to find customers who will pay WT for the flight time
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

It is up to tunnel policy.

Normally coaching is _not_ included in price for sport flyers. I.e. you are paying for air time and it's completely up to you to choose your coach and make all arrangements with him.

Some tunnels (like FlyBox in Israel or Flystation Tokyo) offering you set of rates: without coaching (if you have your own already or want to fly by yourself), with intermediate/advanced coach or with 'top' coach. In this case you are paying to tunnel, not to coach directly.

Some tunnels wants a big part from coach' money, so sometimes instructors working for one tunnel prefer to organize their camp in completely another place. It's generally a win-win situation, you are paying the same, they are making more and they are not bothered by their everyday job routine so they could focus on your progress. We host lots of these camps here in Flystation Russia.

BigBUG

It is up to tunnel policy.
Some tunnels wants a big part from coach' money, so sometimes instructors working for one tunnel prefer to organize their camp in completely another place...

So in this situation there is a Conflict of Interest indeed)
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

At least in most US tunnels, a spotter, employed by the tunnel, is the person responsible for your safety and to catch you if things go to shit and also has the final word about what you can and can't do inside the tunnel. Spotters don't have any obligation to teach you anything, but many give you some hints if you're flying without a coach.

The coach might have spotting certifications but he's not acting on that role while teaching you.

It's up to tunnel management if their employees can act as coach while on the clock, or if they have to clock out to act as coaches. I don't know of any tunnel that does not allow their employees to coach while not on the clock.

I also don't know of any tunnel that charges coach commission without giving in retribution discounted hourly rate for those coaches. In the end, the student is paying the same amount anyway, if the tunnel gets the money straight from the student or through the coach, doesn't matter much.

From coaches I’ve flown with;
Coaches buy block time at discount, you pay them at regular rate.
Coach makes money off difference and tips.
They will schedule you into times that are only partially filled with regular customers.
Tunnel fills partially open time blocks.
Kind of like putting 4 fun jumpers to fill a tandem load.
Win for everyone
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.