Bokdrol

AFF Level 1 with one instructor?

Are there any circumstances (BPA or USPA) in which just one (1) instructor accompanies a student on a level 1 AFF jump? I recently viewed a video on FB of an AFF level 1 where there appeared to be only one instructor with the student. No secondary outside the door, just the primary instructor, who took the video, on the student's right hand side. I asked the student about the secondary and he/she advised me that ''after 24 hours of funnel (sp) time and 2 tandem jumps, my brilliant instructor took the decision'' (i.e. to dispense with the secondary). I am not an instructor, hence the question. Hopefully the answers from you instructors will be that this is an acceptable practice and thereby set my mind at rest.

Bokdrol

.......”after 24 hours of funnel (sp) time and 2 tandem jumps ..........'' (i.e. to dispense with the secondary). .......

———————————————————————-

Sounds like reasonable preparation for single-instructor accompanied freetalls.
I would definitely want to hear the TI’s opinion - first hand - and view video of tunnel time before going one-on-one with a free fall student.

There are programs in the US where the first two jumps are tandems and the third (which is the first solo jump) is with one instructor. Skydive Chicago's AFP program is one such example.

Student's are required to perform basic skills during the tandem jumps, such as altitude awareness, practice touches, and timely deployment of the main in order to pass the tandem progression. After the tandem jumps, the first solo jump is always with only one instructor.

So the short answer is yes, there are circumstances where the first solo jump is with just one instructor, but I could not tell you whether the program you observed is one of them.

Crispy.

There are programs in the US where the first two jumps are tandems and the third (which is the first solo jump) is with one instructor. Skydive Chicago's AFP program is one such example.

We switched to this a few years ago with great success. Our first solo students perform WAY better than when their first jump was solo with two instructors. I have had almost no issues with first solo jumps this way - far less than when we didn't require tandems and had two instructors.

My DZ does what's called "ATP".

2 tandems, 10 minutes of tunnel, then a one instructor AFF jump.

If the student has shown 'difficulties', they may have it as a two instructor jump, but that isn't typical.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo
  • Like 1

jclalor

Lodi has always used a single instructor for AFF.

This is absolutely not true. Once again a few people who think they can speak for the Skydiving Center spout off on issues they know nothing about.

Do you even jump in Northern CA?

So many people here on this site who continuously offer their opinions about a place they don't jump at.
Brett Bickford Did Not Commit Suicide.

He is the victim of ignorance and faulty gear. AND as in the movie: "12 Angry Men," of an ignorant and callous jury.

ChrisD2.0

So many people here on this site who continuously offer their opinions about a place they don't jump at things they know nothing about.

Look in a mirror lately?

I'm still waiting for you to tell me where and when a check in system has saved lives. Specific times and places.

There's also the question of when spiraling at pattern altitude has caused canopy collapses and killed people.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Because they get over the incredible initial fear of jumping out of an airplane on the somewhat more controlled circumstances of tandems, and have been walked through the landing process with an experienced instructor right there showing them landing patterns and the dropzone and such.

Going on the first jump solo, they fight fear, the unknown of what the body position should feel like, and have never flown a canopy before so even more fear.

The tandems help get them comfortable with the skydive and flying the parachute.

Because they get over the incredible initial fear of jumping out of an airplane on the somewhat more controlled circumstances of tandems, and have been walked through the landing process with an experienced instructor right there showing them landing patterns and the dropzone and such.

Ah, so it isn't the single instructor for the first solo jump, it's the tandems they are required to do beforehand? That would make sense to me, I had thought that you meant a student would be less nervous for some reason if (s)he had only one instructor for the first solo jump, as opposed to two.

Here at Skydive Spain we also make the student complete and "AFF" tandem which is made only with a multi rated instructor (AFF & TI), and I have to say I believe it makes a big difference as they do the complete L1 sequence from Hotel Checks until opening the tandem. although the biggest advantage I see is from the canopy piloting aspect.

I can´t provide statistics but for sure we have better success on L1-L3, although these are still two instructor levels.