jclalor

Buddy jumps

I had a lot of trouble doing C&Ps and short delays, I'd always look for my ripcord and roll.

Because I wasn't giving up and everyone was getting tired of me on my 48th jump I went to 7,500' with Zeke Lenn for a harness hold. He spent the jump stopping the spin I was trying to get going and I pulled at the correct altitude.

My log book says: "Harness to harness with instructor. Released from student status. WOW!. "

He signed me off to solo status and I spent another dozen or so jumps figuring out how to stop the spin :-)

They weren't common I don't think.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

I don't remember anyone doing them in Houston. I did have a friend who did a large number of 20 sec delays because of flat spins. He just had to figure it out -- he finally started delta-ing to stop spinning, then arch and pull :ph34r:

Ah, those were the days...

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In the mid 60's my first several free falls were the "Buddy" system as well as my brother. ( 13 & 14 year olds). There were also some smaller ladies that went on freefall the same way. Usually a 10, 20, 30 second delay then turned loose on our own.
GW685,D3888,C5052,SCS843

jonstark

We were doing them in the late seventies with “problem” students. Took a guy with a flat spin problem up a few times.

What could go wrong? We didn’t know what we didn’t know. Yikes!

Jon

I did way too many clear and pulls, I'd look down and tumble. At Bidwell, in '78, they said they were considering putting me back on static line. But "putting you back on static line" was actually a euphemism for suggesting you find another sport. Then one day Kenny Bright was there helping out. Kenny had a lot of jumps and experience. A lot of the people running Bidwell were young and with a few hundred jumps. They were good, they knew what they were doing and all, but there was something about Kenny's older calmer style that really seemed to help. He took me up and I finally did a perfect c&p. Then he took me up for a five second delay and that went well. After that it all worked,the usual screwups now and then but no more "maybe back to static line." I still credit Kenny Bright for letting me become a skydiver.