1 1
Bob_Church

What was your safest parachute?

On 11/29/2019 at 4:35 PM, dirtwiz said:

Definitely my round Piglet II. 400+ jumps and 100% reliability....we had over a dozen jumpers using them at my DZ (Issaquah Parachute Center) and not one malfunction in fact we never heard of a malfunction at any other drop zone either. Once in a while they would have a slightly delayed opening (maybe 1 or 2 seconds)but always opened cleanly afterwards.....and that was rare. I don't know of any malfunctions on the previous model either (Piglet 1).

I was Piglet II jumper, too, and I never ever heard of even a bit of hesitiaton.   Crack your back, and your ankles, too, but no mals.   I did break my r. calcaneus on my reserve jump with a piglet, but that was a bad confluence of 12mph winds, apartment complex, parking lot, playground, and power lines.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 10:52 PM, oldwomanc6 said:

d confluence of 12mph winds, apartment complex, parking lot, playground, and power lines

So, I stumbled across this somewhat older thread - But, I'd like to say; my Falcon 300 gave me tippy toe landings for years. (It was my reserve also).

(edited)
On 5/11/2018 at 6:47 PM, Bob_Church said:

A question in another thread got me to thinking about what canopies I've owned that felt the safest. I'd have to say that it was my Cruiselite. Whether we're talking about opening, getting you back, landing, any of it, I just never worried with that canopy.
So what parachute do you remember, or have now, that made you worry the least?

Sabre 1 150. 1 to 1 wl  200 jumps

Edited by teri drao
  • Like 1

Kudos to the original poster for mentioning chrysler HEMI.

I made ~ 800 CReW jumps on Django / Fury 220, some with the OP. I used it for CReW / BASE / FF.  It was worn out when retired. = Very Safe

Then another 600 on ZP Triathlon 150 = Very Safe

Modern experimentation leads me to believe Epicene Pro 150 is bestest / safest thus far.

I weigh 142 lbs naked, bet you really wanted to hear that.

Re viking superlight, I inherited one in a complete rig years ago. I could not give it away for cost of shipping

My first square was a 7-cell 200 sq ft Unit.  Soft but clean openings, no bad qualities, and super soft landings.  Next one was a Django Firefly...168 sg ft 7-cell F-111. FAST openings, quick, crisp toggle response but landings were a little fast in no wind.  At the time, it was the smallest 7-cell made, and I weighed 140 pounds at the time.  It was a hot rod.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 6:45 PM, RV8 said:

My first square was a 7-cell 200 sq ft Unit.  Soft but clean openings, no bad qualities, and super soft landings.  Next one was a Django Firefly...168 sg ft 7-cell F-111. FAST openings, quick, crisp toggle response but landings were a little fast in no wind.  At the time, it was the smallest 7-cell made, and I weighed 140 pounds at the time.  It was a hot rod.

Loved my Firefly. When it started to get porous, I just had them add two cells to it, to  make it a nine cell. I still had it in 2001 after quitting for 13 years, and jumped it until I got more modern gear about 18 months later.

Wendy P. 

• Like 2