deepy

Recommend a DZ (US)

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on which US dropzone is best for my situation -

I have 75 logged jumps and a non-current BPA A license (all jumps in the UK). I have not jumped for around 5 years :(

I want to take a week and jump as much as possible - including the required refresher/check-out jump to get current. If I can progress somewhat towards a B license within that week, that would be amazing.

Where could I go to make the most jumps taking into consideration facilities (I will need a rental rig, or two if that helps get more jumps in!), ability to jump as many times in a day as possible, availability of an RW coach and good WEATHER (plan to jump in Sep/Oct)

Any/all advice appreciated!!

If you go in the fall (or winter, or spring) I'd go to Skydive Arizona. When I visited, I got 5-8 jumps every day, all day. Almost all of them with an experienced organizer.
(In the summer it may be less, because it gets too hot in the middle of the day)
The on-site wind-tunnel and various hot-air balloon options are pluses too (and landing out in the desert isn't as bad as it would be where there's more civilization either)

They've got a gear store and rentals, as well as a restaurant and you can stay on-site over night as well.

deepy

Where could I go to make the most jumps taking into consideration facilities (I will need a rental rig, or two if that helps get more jumps in!), ability to jump as many times in a day as possible, availability of an RW coach and good WEATHER (plan to jump in Sep/Oct)

Skydive perris in Southern California has planes going everyday and RW Load Organizers everyday that do video reviews of jumps. They also have a huge selection of canopies and containers at the gear shop so you can customize and get a pilot one day or a safire the next. There are also packers daily to help you get more loads.

Southern California has good weather and if you are adventurous, Skydive San diego, Go Jump Oceansize are nearby. Skydive Elsinore is also really close since you can see it from the air in perris. For RW though, perris has the best daily organizers but Elsinore has some good weekend RW organizing as well.

Wherever you decide though, contact them and explain your situation. 75 jumps but 5 years out might require more than a checkout dive.

Depends on when youre going and what your goals are. I love both eloy and perrris, but I wouldn't go to eloy in september. Its still bloody hot. If all you want to do is get in massive jumps, Ive never been weathered out in eloy the two times Ive been there. Perris, sometimes. But Perris is also an easy ride to a lot of things to see, whereas eloy is a bit secluded. If you want to add some sightseeing to your vacay, I'd go to Perris. Both are a couple of the busiest dz s in the world and are fantastic.

Elpnor

Depends on when youre going and what your goals are. I love both eloy and perrris, but I wouldn't go to eloy in september. Its still bloody hot. If all you want to do is get in massive jumps, Ive never been weathered out in eloy the two times Ive been there. Perris, sometimes. But Perris is also an easy ride to a lot of things to see, whereas eloy is a bit secluded. If you want to add some sightseeing to your vacay, I'd go to Perris. Both are a couple of the busiest dz s in the world and are fantastic.

Where is a good place to go in September on the west coast?

Westerly

***Depends on when youre going and what your goals are. I love both eloy and perrris, but I wouldn't go to eloy in september. Its still bloody hot. If all you want to do is get in massive jumps, Ive never been weathered out in eloy the two times Ive been there. Perris, sometimes. But Perris is also an easy ride to a lot of things to see, whereas eloy is a bit secluded. If you want to add some sightseeing to your vacay, I'd go to Perris. Both are a couple of the busiest dz s in the world and are fantastic.

Where is a good place to go in September on the west coast?

If you have solid jump numbers so cal is a nice spot. 4 drop zones in the san diego/LA area plus 3 nice tunnels (plus hollywood and perris tunnels). Skydive san diego is a bit pricey now but has a nice constant 5-10 mph winds out of the west. Oceanside is in northern San Diego and requires 50 jumps min for their dz but beautiful views and similar winds. Elsinore and Perris are right near each other. They can get dust devils in the afternoon if its really hot but dust devils are easily avoidable especially since perris has tons of room to land.

You will need to renew your BPA membership. Or you might have to get a USPA membership.

For where to jump, pretty much what everyone else said, depending on the time of year, and what else you are wanting to do while in the US. But Eloy (Skydive Arizona), Skydive Perris (LA/San Diego CA area), Skydive Deland (Orlando FL area), possibly Skydive Chicago (if not in the winter), are all great places. There is also the Atlanta area, there is 3-4 dzs there in relative close proximity to each other. From my understanding, all of them have a wind tunnel close to the dz or the city.

For gear, most dzs will have gear you can rent: rig, helmet, googles, altimeter, jump suit, etc. If you have any gear, you can bring some with you, suit, altimeter, googles.

To check out dzs, location, basic requirements, website links, contact info: Dropzones
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

All the info given is pretty accurate, aside from the DZ in Oceanside. No offense to Oceanside,they just dont have rental gear, and you need a B license to jump there. Most of the TI's there are AFF rated also but the DZ does not have any student program. Its either license jumpers, or tandems.