jakebaustin

Dropzones in Dallas area

I understand that Dallas is a part of "tornado alley" and that there can be some wind and weather days. Because of the high winds it can be difficult for an AFF student to Complete or even begin their AFF. So would anyone happen to know from experience which Dropzones in the Dallas area are less windy?

So would anyone happen to know from experience which Dropzones in the Dallas area are less windy?

In all due respects, and take this from one midwest jumper to another, you aren't going to get less windy by zipping to another DZ in the same geographical area. :)
=========Shaun ==========

jakebaustin

I understand that Dallas is a part of "tornado alley" and that there can be some wind and weather days. Because of the high winds it can be difficult for an AFF student to Complete or even begin their AFF. So would anyone happen to know from experience which Dropzones in the Dallas area are less windy?

You may be able to find a DZ that has less windy people at it. But that will have no effect on the weather. Tornadoes when they happen are part of storm systems and are not the result of prevailing winds.

You could drive 4 or so hours south to Houston or San Marcos if the Dallas DZs are winded but then you'll burn half the day driving instead of jumping.

Best bet is to get to the DZ early before the winds pick up and be ready to stick around till the end of the day when the winds calm back down. You could get 2 maybe more AFF jumps in doing this. And if students get put on a wind hold use the time to ask questions and learn stuff for your proficiency card.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Best bet is to get to the DZ early before the winds pick up and be ready to stick around till the end of the day when the winds calm back down. You could get 2 maybe more AFF jumps in doing this. And if students get put on a wind hold use the time to ask questions and learn stuff for your proficiency card.

I was thinking the same as you. But his profile says he has 400 jumps..... I guess he's just unsure about TX weather.

jakebaustin

Fake news. The Dallas area has started and graduated a ton of students from AFF. Be at the drop zone and be ready to jump. You’ll skydive plenty.

Dallas jumper here. Wind is just part of the game. I remember I didn't get to jump the day I took the static line course because it was too windy. Just came back the next weekend and jumped. Once you get a license the wind is less of a problem because you'll be allowed to jump when its somewhat windy. But for students, there are restrictions to keep them from going out and hurting themselves. If you can, try and be at the dropzone when it opens so you can jump on the first load as winds tend to be lower first thing in the morning .