ciechan

US DZ operating Skyvan or Sherpa

jonstark

The manufacturer has determined that their design and the materials used have a finite life based either on landings, hours or both. Unlike other aircraft neither they nor any outside agency has come up with life extending modifications.

Jon

More info here:
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2007/02/16/E7-2505/airworthiness-directives-short-brothers-and-harland-ltd-models-sc-7-series-2-and-sc-7-series-3

Iago

***So it looks like we just need to get rid of the Skyvan and use a different airplane with an large rear door. What other options exist other than a C130?

CASA would be the next closest I could think of. 32 jumpers. Slower on the climb. Tougher to use with lots of small groups since the jumprun tends to be faster and the drop gets strung way out.

But you can chunk some wicked formations off that huge ramp.

Great for boogies, but you need a hundred fun jumpers to keep one turning so not so great for daily use. Just my opinions.

Don't know if it's possible to make new Skyvans, but they did start making otters again due to demand.

Casas need 2 pilots. Another strike against them, tho they are f'ing fun planes for sure.
Remster

Remster

******So it looks like we just need to get rid of the Skyvan and use a different airplane with an large rear door. What other options exist other than a C130?

CASA would be the next closest I could think of. 32 jumpers. Slower on the climb. Tougher to use with lots of small groups since the jumprun tends to be faster and the drop gets strung way out.

But you can chunk some wicked formations off that huge ramp.

Great for boogies, but you need a hundred fun jumpers to keep one turning so not so great for daily use. Just my opinions.

Don't know if it's possible to make new Skyvans, but they did start making otters again due to demand.

Casas need 2 pilots. Another strike against them, tho they are f'ing fun planes for sure.

As long as you avoid the Casa Rash.