Korton

Virginia DC DropZone for skydiving License opinions

Hey everyone, so my goal this year is to get my skydiving license. Thankfully I have two places that are really close to me in Virginia, DC Skydiving Center and Skydive Orange. DC skydiving Center is half an hour closer, but wanted opinions as which one could possibly be a better option for a noobie.
I don't know quite how to put this but..... I'm kind of a big deal, people know me.

Go to http://www.skydiveorange.com/

or go to http://www.virginiaskydivingcenter.com/ in Dinwiddie Va.

Do not go to 'DC Skydiving Center', it's what we call a Tandem Mill and they don't give out ratings.

I will second Skydive Orange. Very professionally run and they put the student first.

I jumped DC Skydive Center once. Night and day difference. Go to Orange.

Add in the landing area for DC Skydive center is a narrow strip next to the hanger where depending on wind, you get turbulence from the trees or the buildings while landing in the same area as the sport jumpers who may or may not be flying a standard pattern.

The student landing area for Orange is 10 times as big and student only so other traffic is greatly reduced.

thanks guys for the replies, that settles it I will be going to orange. A lot of money involved so I appreciate that replies.
I am curious tho, so dcskydiving center doesn't even do ratings? They advertise like you can get your AFF and all that on their webpage.
Either way I was more inclined to go to orange, skydiving center would be nice because its under an hour away from me.
I don't know quite how to put this but..... I'm kind of a big deal, people know me.

Once you get your license, you'll be jumping at Orange anyway so might as well meet the instructors, coaches, and fellow Rotten Oranges while you're learning. I had the same question as you a year ago. I'm not sure if DC Skydiving Center has any fun jumpers.

I tried to do this earlier, but it did not work on my iPad. So now that I am stateside on a real computer I can. I know you already decided on SDO, but for anyone else who stumbles across this and is deciding between the two...

The landing area for everyone at DC Skydive Center. Fun jumpers, tandems, swoopers, students, etc.

150'x700' Trees on one side and buildings on the other. Both cause turbulence if the wind is coming from that direction. You fly your downwind and base leg of your pattern over shit you don't want to land on.

DC Skydive.jpg

Student only landing area at SDO. 800'x1500'. Even being that big, students sometimes still miss. You fly your entire landing pattern over the landing area. Other than the bushes along the ditch, you are not over anything you need to worry about while flying your pattern.