Tierney

AFF San Francisco

Pop quiz: If you've only ever done one tandem jump before, but you've always had an interest in doing the AFF, and you're looking for a welcoming place for for-fun jumpers who have zero interest in sitting around a campfire after jumping and who has a great school in which to learn, which SF-area place would you recommend?

Tierney

I have enough friends and a busy social/work life, I just want to learn to skydive. Is that too much to ask?!?

In general, yes it is. Jumpers with real social lives almost never become current or good at skydiving. But there are people who do it anyway and there is room for you. But as a casual sport, skydiving is not a good choice.

Look for a larger school with many full time instructors. They will be more likely to be geared to your needs. You are looking for a place with a focus on customer service. Modern large DZs can fill that role.

Awwwww shucks :) Thanks for the kind words.

I'm an instructor out at Tracy and would be happy to answer any questions you have. You can email me at jacketsdb23 at gmail or reach out directly to skydive california at www.skydivecal.com. Hopefully we can meet and you find what you are looking for.

FYI we don't even have a bonfire, for risk of burning the state down ;)

Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I'm getting back into the sport after a 5 year break. I was excited to check out Tracy, because they opened after I stopped. Having jumped there a couple times now, I can say they are a wonderful outfit. Small DZ/family feel, but a turbine and lots of loads. Large landing area and the staff are great. I have a friend who will be doing aff soon and that's where I'll be sending him. It doesn't hurt that they are probably the closest drive for you too.

Byron (Bay Area Skydiving) is a little bit closer to SF. What distinguishes Byron and is good for students, is the HUGE area of safe landing spots outside of the DZ perimeter. If you make a mistake and cant get back to the DZ there are a zillion alternatives. I have jumped Skydive California at Tracy too and loved it. Look on YELP, lots of reviews of all the Bay Area DZs.

My advice is to learn how to fly stable in a vertical wind tunnel before you take AFF. It won't take long and it will make AFF go a lot better. https://www.iflyworld.com/sfbay/

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.