JumpSurfRepeat

Robot Freefall Camera

Interesting concept. Looks like there's a team at University of Nottingham developing a robot that can act as a camera flyer.

https://boingboing.net/2017/10/03/skydiving-robot-to-capture-vid.html

Think we'll see these at dropzones anytime soon?

Edited to add: I personally hope that we don't see them. Aerial photography is a human art, and to attempt develop a robot that can do the same thing is taking the human factor out of it.

JumpSurfRepeat

It's not that I'm against developing robots to improve our quality of life.

Think of it this way, which of the following is more meaningful to have on display in your house:

- A generic, printed picture that came off a press or
- A real oil-on-canvas painting that was made by a human?

Make sense?

Ever seen aerial photography from a drone? You can get shots with one that would be very difficult to get if a person was physically holding the lens. It will still take the artistic eye to edit and score the footage. Imagine having several of these things moving through a formation, small and relatively inconspicuous. Take all that footage and put it together for a video that might have taken several jumps to get enough footage to compile. Still takes the human eye and skill to make it into art.

Its great to see these guys coming up with a concept, and developing it to make it a reality. Its thinkers and innovators like this who make the world what it is today.

Not sure I can see it replacing human cameramen on large formation loads especially, could be dangerous having inanimate objects flying around, but who knows where this will go. Durability of the system will be a challenge.

I've been surprised many times over the years, watching how skydiving technology has progressed, after many times thinking we'd taken new concepts as far as they could go.

Kudos to this team.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

GoGoGadget

Still takes the human eye and skill to make it into art.

This x100! I think that's what I was trying to say.

GoGoGadget

Imagine having several of these things moving through a formation, small and relatively inconspicuous. Take all that footage and put it together for a video that might have taken several jumps to get enough footage to compile.

Okay that part would be dope. Hadn't considered that!

Would say that the other thing with this is that I don't want to see camera flyers out of a job at DZs. Maybe it doesn't render them unemployed, but simply changes their role. I guess nobody is immune to having their job taken away by robots though [:/]