US Air Traffic Control Vote in Congress.

The House floor vote on the air traffic control privatization bill that was scheduled to take place last week was postponed. That's good news, since it means that the proponents of ATC privatization don't have the votes to pass the bill. That also means that the members of USPA and other general aviation groups who have been calling their Representatives in opposition to the bill are having the desired effect. But we can't rest; the House Transportation Committee Chairman has vowed to pass ATC privatization, and that means the Congressional deal-making and arm-twisting are in full force. So the bill is likely to be put back on the House calendar for a vote, whether next week or a few weeks or a couple of months. When that happens, USPA will again ask our members to help with calls to Congress.

'edited and posted without permission' B|
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

Glad to hear that the vote was postponed.

As a Canadian pilot and skydiver, I was ambivilant about ATC privatization until a couple of years ago. Over the last two years an-overly-ambitious airport manager and under-ambitious air traffic controllers (Nav Canada) limited skydiving at Pitt Meadows Airport (CYPK) so many times that they could not pay their bills. Many sunny Sundays (over the last two summers) saw zero parachutes over Pitt Meadows! That DZO closed forever on Sunday, 2017, September 23.
Skydivers had been jumping at Pitt Meadows on-and-off for the last half century. Pilot Donn Richardson has shared some his experiences flying jumpers back during the 1960s.
Yes, I was honoured to be invited on the last load at Pitt Meadows ........ but it was one of those honours that stirs up sad thoughts ..... like being invited on an ash dive!

In conclusion: Americans are wise to resist privatized ATC because privatized ATC will routinely deny clearance to jump-planes, forcing DZs out of business.

riggerrob

In conclusion: Americans are wise to resist privatized ATC because privatized ATC will routinely deny clearance to jump-planes, forcing DZs out of business.

Good story on the demise of Pitt Meadows. Truly sad. And I can’t agree with you more on rallying against ATC privatization in the US. Many skydivers don’t realize just how serious this is. The sport we all love would be forever changed in a really bad way.

riggerrob

Glad to hear that the vote was postponed.

As a Canadian pilot and skydiver, I was ambivilant about ATC privatization until a couple of years ago. Over the last two years an-overly-ambitious airport manager and under-ambitious air traffic controllers (Nav Canada) limited skydiving at Pitt Meadows Airport (CYPK) so many times that they could not pay their bills. Many sunny Sundays (over the last two summers) saw zero parachutes over Pitt Meadows! That DZO closed forever on Sunday, 2017, September 23.
Skydivers had been jumping at Pitt Meadows on-and-off for the last half century. Pilot Donn Richardson has shared some his experiences flying jumpers back during the 1960s.
Yes, I was honoured to be invited on the last load at Pitt Meadows ........ but it was one of those honours that stirs up sad thoughts ..... like being invited on an ash dive!

I hope a suitably worded thank you note was sent to aforementioned manager and ATC staff.....

"Thanks for screwing our DZ you idiots"

But that might have been their intention all along. The lesson is to fight all the way.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Dear :Pobelixtim,[/:P]
It is difficult to understand what thoughts pass through the minds of airport administrators.

Sometimes we apply Occum's Razor: simplest explanation.

Sometimes we apply Murphy's Law: what can go wrong will go wrong.

Lately I have applying Hanlon's Law: don't attribute to malice anything that can also be explained by stupidity!
Ha!
Ha!

riggerrob

Dear :Pobelixtim,[/:P]
It is difficult to understand what thoughts pass through the minds of airport administrators.

Sometimes we apply Occum's Razor: simplest explanation.

Sometimes we apply Murphy's Law: what can go wrong will go wrong.

Lately I have applying Hanlon's Law: don't attribute to malice anything that can also be explained by stupidity!
Ha!
Ha!

Thoughts? Minds?

You give them too much credit, methinks.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

riggerrob

Over the last two years an-overly-ambitious airport manager and under-ambitious air traffic controllers (Nav Canada) limited skydiving at Pitt Meadows Airport (CYPK) so many times that they could not pay their bills. Many sunny Sundays (over the last two summers) saw zero parachutes over Pitt Meadows! That DZO closed forever on Sunday, 2017, September 23.

Thanks for the first hand report. I've seen a few too many lazy controllers over the years. A privatized worker may have NO incentive to stick his neck out for jump operations. That situation SUCKS.

Once in the U.S., in Class B airspace, we got crap service. After landing, I called the facility and lodged a complaint. Next load up, new voice, great service. ;) As a govt. agency, they are mandated to serve ALL of the public. As a private corporation, I shudder to think. :o

JohnMitchell

*** Over the last two years an-overly-ambitious airport manager and under-ambitious air traffic controllers (Nav Canada) limited skydiving at Pitt Meadows Airport (CYPK) so many times that they could not pay their bills. Many sunny Sundays (over the last two summers) saw zero parachutes over Pitt Meadows! That DZO closed forever on Sunday, 2017, September 23.

Thanks for the first hand report. I've seen a few too many lazy controllers over the years. A privatized worker may have NO incentive to stick his neck out for jump operations. That situation SUCKS.

Once in the U.S., in Class B airspace, we got crap service. After landing, I called the facility and lodged a complaint. Next load up, new voice, great service. ;) As a govt. agency, they are mandated to serve ALL of the public. As a private corporation, I shudder to think. :o

Even with the current situation things can be difficult. I live under the traffic pattern for a small untowered field. I have been talking to the airport manager recently to just feel her out about the possibility of some skydiving operations there from time to time. The response was that anyone operating on the field needs a $1M liability policy that names the town as an insured. I'm certain that this policy is not enforced for everyone on the field (including some powered parachutes), but this is the kind of things you are up against now when local governments control the airfields. If you throw a private company controlling the airspace on top of that it will surely not make things better.