gowlerk

Cessna 182 back board

I've seen a few 182s with boards installed to keep skydivers away from the controls and the firewall. Are there STCs for these anywhere? I'd like to install a removable one legally.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Yes, there are a few TSOed control guards for Cessna 182s. The best are small and unobtrusive. The smallest barely protect engine control know from accidental adjustment.

The simplest and most effective backboards are made of plywood and covered with indoor/outdoor carpet. The top edge bolted to the underside of the instrument panel. The bottom edge bolted to the floor directly below the IP or a few inches aft of the upper attachment. Tilt angle is similar to the pilot's seat, only facing aft.

With enough Velcro, you could forget about the bolts. If the backboard is not bolted to the airframe, it could count as "cargo". Most fede don't notice (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more) at similar straddle benches made from blocks of foam, covered with vinyl and flopping loose in the cabin.
I would start with 4 inch wide strips of Velcro reinforced with webbing or nylon Cordura. I doubt if vinyl is strong enough.

OTOH the largest metal throttle guards force TIs to struggle during every exit. The worst control guard I have worked with was installed in the wide-body Super 182 that operated at Beiseker. That steel tube was bolted to the floor so far aft that seated TIs struggled to get students' feet out the door. I lost count of how many hundred times I assisted another TI's student's feet out the door.

If TC gives you a hard time, mention "positional asphyxia" and wander off. The term "positional asphyxia" is in TC's textbooks.
Ha!
Ha!

It probably depends who you ask. That's why I'm asking! There is a clear danger of one coming lose and jamming into rudder pedals or other controls. I'm also looking for clear plans of a safe installation. I'm pretty sure my AMO is not going to want to just wing it. Pictures of good ones would be appreciated.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Ask USPA

Jump plane modifications that are not specifically described in the Aircraft Flight Manual must be accomplished by FAA issuance of either a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) or a Field Approval. For $100 ($200 for non-members), USPA sells STCs for jump conversions of original and early model Cessna 170, 172, 180, and 182 aircraft. These STCs accommodate the removal of the door, not an in-flight door. E-mail the Government Relations department at [email protected] or call (540) 604-9740.

Ask Gary Peek, peek username on here.

http://flycompassrose.com/jump-aircraft/ Claims to have STC's
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

gowlerk

It probably depends who you ask. That's why I'm asking! There is a clear danger of one coming lose and jamming into rudder pedals or other controls. I'm also looking for clear plans of a safe installation. I'm pretty sure my AMO is not going to want to just wing it. Pictures of good ones would be appreciated.

Attached photo is how I did mine. Piece of plywood. It uses Velcro at the bottom and a bungee with a clip at the top. Not using permanent fasteners allows it to be considered "cargo" or something temporary. It is not included in the weight and balance info, but is added to the jumper weights. If an FAA inspector objected, it could be removed in 30 seconds.

It's been a few years, and I don't have a pic...

Ours was totally removable. No attachment at all.
A bit higher than the pic Peek posted, but not so high as to cover the circuit breakers.

Plywood (1/2" I think), with 2x4s making it into an "L". 2x4 as the base, and angled up as braces. The base was wide enough that it kind of "wedged" into the footwell, and was stopped by the sides before it hit the rudder pedals.

It worked very nicely. Solid enough that it didn't move or flex, "friction fit" so it didn't move. Carpet on the side facing the jumper.

One more thing: Hook knife attached to the back (towards the panel) side, just in case.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

gowlerk

Yes, there are a few TSOed control guards for Cessna 182s

Do you happen to know who may hold such an approval?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ian Flanagan (Beiseker, Alberta). has the paperwork for a wide variety of skydiving STCs for Beech 18, King Air 90 and many single-engined Cessnas.
If he offers you the STC for the throttle guard (red steel tube) installed in his wide-bodied 182) ...... politely decline. TIs hate that throttle guard because it limits leg room.

Getting back to back boards (pun grooooooan) Bobby MaGee suggested starting with a stock Cessna co-pilot's seat. Strip off all the upholstery. Shorten the legs and install it on stock set rail FACING THE TAIL. The top of the seat back should rest against the bottom edge of the instrument panel. Trim plywood to fit inside frame. Cover with vinyl and submit the paperwork.
The biggest challenge is shortening the legs enough to minimize the new lump in the floor. The TI sitting in the co-pilot's position will enjoy a small, slightly raised lump, but try to keep it low enough to prevent late divers from tripping over it. Surrounding seat cushions (the same height as the seat rails will help camouflage raised edges. Most of the adjustments will be bolted in one position.
TC might like Bobby's suggest because it is mostly made of stock Cessna parts and only a few were shortened.

Boby's suggestion reminds of the plastic milk crate that S/L JMs sat on in Snohomish: a quick, simple, cheap redneck-engineer solution to a fatigue problem.

gowlerk

I've seen a few 182s with boards installed to keep skydivers away from the controls and the firewall. Are there STCs for these anywhere? I'd like to install a removable one legally.

Presuming your motivation is to guard the engine controls, I had a nice device made for our 182E. It was light, strong, cosmetically nice and worked great!

We didn't have an STC but ensured it could be removed in seconds if necessary with just a Phillips driver but never had to. We were ramp-checked more than once without problem by Transport Canada.

I don't have any pictures, but I sold the plane to Darren at Skydive Big Sky in Innisfail. The plane was written off by one of their guys a couple of years back, but I think he still has the fuselage. If not, he probably still has the Tech Manuals which include diagrams of the part my AME manufactured and installed. Give him a shout.

Regards

John

gowlerk

Thanks everyone. I'll discuss these ideas with the AME and see what he says. It's for a 182 F. So I will probably follow up on Aphid's info.

Ken,

The pilot crunched one wing, gear & engine. He may actually trade the attachment to you for a box of beer.

John

>Maybe I will when I have ADS-B installed

If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the new ADS-B Out unit by UavioniX. Replaces your existing nav light. Only for experimentals at this point but they are working on a certificated unit. A very clever design, sure hope it works as advertised.